Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zaaboor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2009, 05:36 AM
    Pasta Machines
    I want to purchase a pasta machine, but have no clue about the best brands out there :confused:. I enjoy cooking and I'm willing to invest in a quality piece of machinery if it works well, and will last for years. If you have any suggestions on the best pasta machines both hand-cranked or electric in the market please list them!

Thank you!
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 7, 2009, 06:31 AM
    Good question !
    I'm in a similar position, and will keep track of this topic.
    Don't count on these handcranked models. I have 2 for sale.
    Neither of them have been used more than once.
    They simply do not work properly.
    Let's hope there will be some good suggestions made!
    artemide Posts: 3, Reputation: 4

Jun 3, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Dear Zaaboor,
    I'm writing from Italy, I hope this will be helpful :rolleyes:

Handcrancked machines are very simple, the problem is... the dough :o
    It is quite difficult to prepare the correct dough, not too dry and not too soft.
    There are several expedients to use hand machine: not for knead but only to make pastry thin is the most important.
    Another trick is to start from widest setting and progressively shorten the distance between steel rolls (the smallest should not be used, the pastry became too thin).
    Usually a motor could be added - in case of nobody is helpful in turning the crank :D
    If you are interested, I could copy here some direction from Simili sisters (quite famous here) about the correct dough... in Italy, traditional housewives use only rolling pin and wooden board (but I cannot prepare a perfect sheet in that manner ;) )

Alternatively, you could consider a complete machine, to knead and then extrude macaroni and similar things.. but it is not the same.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

Jun 4, 2009, 06:35 AM

Love me some pasta. I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer with the pasta/grinder attachment. Works wonders. Artemide is on the money. The dough is the key. The mixer is great for other things also so I have versatility. KitchenAid Online Store | KitchenAid Pasta Roller and Cutter Set - KPRA is an example.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 12:16 PM
    Artemide,
    Are you talking about a recipe for pasta? Or directions on how to prepare?
    Either one would be helpful if you could post those. :)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 12:17 PM
    I'm also looking for a great traditional lasagne recipe and since you are from Italy... maybe you have one? :D
    Zaaboor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 06:41 AM

Thanks artemide and dawgsnkats for the answer. I love baking and making everything at home, homemade Pasta is one of the few things that I have yet to try. I want to buy a pasta machine and I have the KitchemAid stand mixer, so maybe the attachement is a good solution. I just wanted to some reviews before I bought something impulsively!
    Just Dahlia, I have found a traditional Lasagne recipe that is quite good and has homemade pasta, that does not require a pasta machine, and is in fact rolled by hand. THe recipe comes from a Baking blog that is called THe Daring Kitchen: it's a Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna with spinach pasta
    Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna | The Daring Kitchen
    Enjoy

Jun 6, 2009, 01:40 PM
    I'm from Milano, not Bologna :p

These are hints from traditional recipes!
    For the real "sfoglia emiliana" only 2 ingredients are needed:

* Wheat flour: it is better to use "0" type (the not completely refined flour, but not whole), not "manitoba"(too much gluten - this one is recommended for pizza). Approximately 220 gr. (approx 7.8 oz - if I made the correct conversion :o)

* Eggs - 2.
    No water, no salt!

1. Sieve the flour on the wooden board - or in a large bowl, creating a well. Put some flour aside, to adjust the dough if necessary

2. shell the two eggs in the well, beat a little with a fork

3. "mass in" the flour, in small stages, without kneading

4. cover the bowl, while you clean hands carefully (to remove small pieces of dry dough)

5. knead, with a horizontal action, not vertical (dough shouldn't be pressed) - nearly a stroke, a rolling action. It is not necessary to knead for a long time, the dough is ready when smooth.

6. Put it in (with ball shape) in a clean bowl, cover with a dish and leave for 30 minutes. In this time, the gluten develops and the dough will become elastic.
    When the settling time is finished, probably the dough could be moist. This is caused by the gluten: it relaxes and releases some water. In this case: do NOT add flour! It is better to roll out the dough with a pin on a clean dishtowel, in order to absorb it. As well as kneading, it is important to maintain an horizontal action, an 'extension', without pressing.

Only at this step the machine could be used, not for kneading. Divide into smaller pieces, roll out with the pin until thickness equals the wider space between rolls.
    For tagliatelle, dough should be more firm than for "ravioli" (when sheets have to be sealed together); before their final cut with the proper rolls, it is better to let sheets dry a little.

I hope this could help you! :p

Jun 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I'm also looking for a great traditional lasagne recipe and since you are from Italy.... maybe you have one? :D
    Lasagne with mushrooms.. is it OK?

Sheets made with 3 eggs (or ready lasagna: blanch and dry if necessary) .

Stuffing:
    500 g champignons (cultivated mushrooms)
    30 g dry mushrooms (ceps)
    50 g butter
    250 g cooked ham (thin sliced)
    100 g Parmigiano (real parmigiano, not parmesan... ;) )
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 glass white wine
    1/2 onion (minced)
    1/4 litre milk or light clear broth

Béchamel:
    350 g milk
    15 g butter
    15 g wheat flour
    salt, white pepper

A 30 x 25 cm oven-proof dish.

Slice mushrooms, soak dry mushrooms (30 minutes, then strain, clean and mince). In a large saucepan, brown onion with oil and butter, add minced dry ceps. Add fresh mushrooms in two-three times, on a high heat in order to evaporate the water quickly. Add wine in small amount leaving it reducing before adding other. Ad salt, pepper and flour (sieved). Add warm milk, wait until boils and turn off. The whole procedure should take 5-6 minutes, not more (to avoid overcooking of mushrooms).

Prepare the bechamel, then add nearly all the parmigiano.

Prepare the layers in the dish: grease the bottom, then a sheet, mushrooms (1/3), sheet, bechamel, 1/2 ham, bechamel, sheet, mushroom, sheet, bechamel, ham, finish with mushrooms. Sprinkle with remaining parmigiano (nothing much).
    Bake at 180°C (360°F) for 15-20 minutes.

I hope you enjoy it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pasta diet for Pasta Lovers [ 6 Answers ]

I found this article throug Google. Need some expert's advise whether it's realistic or not? GB

Pasta italiana [ 2 Answers ]

How to cook pasta?

Pasta Ingredients [ 4 Answers ]

I've always thought that all white pasta contains the same ingredients... it is only the shapes that are different. Is that correct?

The Pasta Diet and Your Health [ 1 Answers ]

ITALIAN PASTA DIET -- IT REALLY WORKS! 1.. You walka pasta da bakery. 2.. You walka pasta da candy store. 3.. You walka pasta da Ice Cream shop. 4... You walka pasta da table and fridge.

View more questions Search