Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tantrik03 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Tax blunder... Please help!
    Hi
    First of all thank you for providing this great service!

My situation is as follows:

1) I was on F1 visa (OPT) during 2005

2) My spouse was with me in the US on a F2 visa

3) During the OPT period, I worked part-time for one company and on a contract basis for another firm. Therefore, I have a W2 as well as a Misc 1099 slip.

4) I filed my return using Form 1040NR (Was this the correct form??) Due to certain circumstances, I filed my return in a hurry on April 15th and am pretty sure made a lot of mistakes in calculating my taxes.

5) A couple of months later, I get a notice from the IRS saying I owe $xxxx.xx

Now I want to file an amended return in order to clarify the situation alongwith an application for ITIN for my wife.

Is there an online tax prep software that is geared specifically towards non-resident tax prep.?? If not, should I consider contacting a professional tax expert to prepare my amended return (Which one??)....

Please help!!

Thanks again for all your good work...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 11, 2006, 03:11 PM
    There IS tax software for non-resident returns, but the name of the software eludes me.

Log onto the forum at www.thetaxguy.com and post your question. It will get answered.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Aug 11, 2006, 05:06 PM
    If you are a non-resident, then the 1040NR was correct. I'm not convinced that on OPT you should have been working for an employer and then also as an independent contractor but that's another story.

You can ask your questions here and get further clarification. If you need to hire a professional, I am an EA and can assist with preparing an amended return and helping you in dealing with the IRS. PM me for further details if you need them.

All the best with your situation.

taxsearcher
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2006, 06:49 AM
    TaxSearcher and I do not always agree on how to address tax issues, but he is an excellent tax professional. I wholeheartedly recommend him.

I too can help you if you decide you need professional help. Suggest you e-mail me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search