Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wiser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Hippa laws
    Is it a violation of hippa if a switchboard operator tells a customer that a manager is off due to surgery. I thought these laws were directed towards health care organizations.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2009, 05:17 PM

It would be a violation, if she got that info as a result of a medical practitioner. So it depends on how she got the info.

It is however, not a very good move on her part.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2009, 06:05 PM

I am primarily a Computer Expert, but I consider myself sort of a Renaissance Man and have a significant amount of knowledge and experience in a variety of areas.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiser View Post
    is it a violation of hippa if a switchboard operator tells a customer that a manager is off due to surgery. i thought these laws were directed towards health care organizations.
    Does the switchboard operator work at a hospital or doctor's office? If the answer to that question is no, then it is not a HIPAA violation.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:10 AM

I think if someone wanted to make a legal case out of it then perhaps they could.The operator should have been trained in certain protocols for these situations.There must be a manual at work that has the rules stated.

I am clearly no expert.I took a medical ethics class in preparation for being a physicians assistant.Not a legal opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws [ 3 Answers ]

Dateline: U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country) U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S. Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american...

Hippa Laws [ 2 Answers ]

It was recently brought to my attention that my manager discussed my mental health issues in front of another co worker and asst. manager. The asst. manager warned him of discussing my issues and was quoted as saying:eventually someone may find out about your constant releasing of personal and...

Workman comp and hippa laws [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was hurt pretty bad on his job at nso fault of his own. After waiting 3 months we finally were able to go to an orthopedic trama surgeon. While at the appointment, the case nurse was upset because she wasn't allowed to go into the exam room with my husband, the doctor and me. She told us...

Workmans comp & hippa laws [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend filed a workmans comp claim against the company we both work for approximately a year ago. Since he works in a very small dept. this required the company to fill his hours with overtime. When the individual was no longer willing or able to cover my boyfriend's hours, this particular...

View more questions Search