Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Look... the post that said its always been a planet to us humans is wrong. Its been recognized as a planet for a couple generations.

Second... this is how science works folks! Thre was a time when "life force" was the underlying thing that make living things live. Dna was not recognized or known (in term of its genetic function) past two generations ago. Physics was a "dead science" at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century. The textbook I have from 10 years ago are largely outdated and in some cases incorrect in their assumptions. One book I have says enzymes are proteins. Now there are other macrobiologicals that are seen as having enzymatic activity.

While there are some potential issues with the "cleared its orbit" statement, if this helps better organize the systematic nomenclature and organization (which is a hallmark of all areas of science) then fine. Stick around long enough. It'll probably change again sometime when more knowledge is gained.

And, I hate to say it, but I R E A L L Y doubt it'll screw my kid up to have to explain that the classification of planets now excludes pluto, or relegates it to a lower class.

Again, if anything, this is the way dynamic science works. Or what a bunch of bored astronomers do for gits and shiggles.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Aug 27, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    this is how science works folks!
    I agree but I also find it a little ironic. Science keeps changing it's mind, I know it's because we are always learning new things and gaining new technology, but it is hard to keep up.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 27, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Did anyone ask the Plutonians how they felt. Earth men are so arrogant.
    ritac Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 03:01 PM
    What does this mean for astrology? Didn't Pluto have somehting to do with one of the horoscope signs? (Scorpio I think)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 30, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ritac
    What does this mean for astrology? Didn't Pluto have somehting to do with one of the horoscope signs? (Scorpio I think)
    Astrologers will just ignore it and go about their business.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Could the Devil be from another planet? [ 48 Answers ]

This is a silly question maybe, and I know there is no scriptural basis for it. However, I recently saw John Carpenter's movie "Prince of Darkness", and it explains that Satan basically was an ancient evil being from another galaxy who came and tried to take over the earth. Anyway I thought it was...

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

How to express All the Other Variables Remain the Same [ 1 Answers ]

Or Unchanged? I ever saw a phrase or word in a textbook and it seems to be a Latin word/phrase. It is odd if you repeat "All the Other Variables Remain the Same/unchaged" again and again in the paper! Thanks a lot

Shower floor tile and grout remain wet looking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new shower with 2X2 marble slate flooring. After each shower I take an area of "wet looking" tile and grout expands. I read up on it and seem to think that the drain weep holes may be clogged but my contractor doesn't think so (but hasn't checked to see which would mean taking out the...

View more questions Search