Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peralez-j Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Is it possible for satan to ever repent?
    HI,
    In my 30 yrs. Of being a Christian I have only heard two people make a comment on the possibility of satan repenting. This troubles me to think that some Christians would ever entertain the thought. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with someone that is obviously confused about this issue?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Feb 6, 2009, 12:12 PM

Perhaps just let them be confused... frankly, what can you really do? People will believe what they want, no matter how bizarre or irrational it may be. There are so many strange theologies in existence that go beyond human rationality and the people who subscribe to them cannot be reasoned with rationally... at least that is my experience.

So sometimes the only antidote is to just let people be because you cannot feel personally responsible for changing people's theology... it cannot be done. However, when the time is appropriate and the person is open to other viewpoints, that may be a time to give your perspective... but if it's not asked for, I wouldn't give it; you'll only make matters worse.

Sincerely.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Feb 6, 2009, 06:41 PM

Revelation 20 shows clearly what will happen to satan.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 11:49 PM
    peralez-j .
    I think Jakester gave you some good advice.
    Considering where Satan is I think that IF he could repent he may have.
    However if he did or not he continues to work against God even going so far as to try to temp the Son of God and all of man kind.
    He made is bed long long ago and he will have to lay in to till beyond the end of time.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 12:06 AM

Of course it must be *possible* for Satan to repent, otherwise God's judgment of him would be unjust. It is possible for Satan to repent, and that is why his refusal to do so is condemnable.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Akoue,
    THAT IS a very interesting thought.
    I hope you are right.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peralez-j View Post
    HI,
    In my 30 yrs. of being a Christian I have only heard two people make a comment on the possibility of satan repenting. This troubles me to think that some Christians would ever entertain the thought. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with someone that is obviously confused about this issue?
    No, there is no chance. The reason is simple. Prior to the fall of man, Satan sinned by wanting to be like God himself. In response, he was condemned, and hell was created for him and his demons (Matthew 25:41). At this point, sin had not entered the human race, but Satan deceived Adam and Eve into sinning also.

The penalty for the sin of man differed from that of Satan. The penalty for man was death, both physical death (prior to that point death was unknown in nature), and spiritual death in the form of eternal torment in the lake of fire created for Satan and his angels. By establishing death as the penalty for sin, the only way that sin could be paid for was by the shedding for blood (Heb 9:22). However, blood already tainted by sin could not pay the rpice - it had to be perfect sinless blood. Thus why Jesus had to come to earth as a man to die on the cross for our sins. In the OT, his coming was prophetically indicated by a perfect lamb, without any defect whatsoever. Thus why Jesus was called the perfect lamb of God.

When we receive Jesus as Saviour, we do so by faith in God, and in faith of Jesus and the all sufficency of His sacrifice on the cross for our sins, we do so in faith.

Satan, first of all, cannot come to God by faith. Satan is spirit, and has been in the presence of God personally, therefore with him, it is not faith. Second, Satan is not flesh and blood, therefore death is not possible, and thus death cannot pay the price for his sin. Since his penalty is not death, and thus no shedding of blood, there is no way that a substitutionary shedding of blood could pay the price for his sin.

Thus, redemption for Satan is not possible. Nor will you find any such option given in scripture. There is nothing in scripture giving an option for their redemption. Scripture says clearly and specifically that Satan and his angels will spend eternity in torment:

Rev 20:9-10
    10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
    NKJV

Scripture presents a much different situation for mankind, clearly announcing the hope of the gospel from Genesis 3:15 and throughout the Bible.

There may be those who think God unfair and unjust for not leaving an option, but again, Satan was in the very presence of God in spirit, in heaven, and knowingly chose to try to overthrow God and to exalt himself as God. When someone has committed an offence, it is never unjust for them to serve the penalty, but it is a matter of grace for God to choose to open a path for man to be forgiven his sins. It would be perfectly just for God to have close the door on men also, but He didn't. We have good reason therefore to praise Him for being merciful to us, and no grounds for judging Him unjust for condemning Satan in eternity.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Feb 7, 2009, 08:25 PM

What is troubling to me is that so many people who call themselves "Christians" do NOT accept the Bible (the Christian's guide book) as being authoritative, or else they don't have a clue as to what is in it.
    "Christian" needs to be re-defined for this generation.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:43 PM
    galveston.
    From where do you get that?
    I know many Christians and all of them know the bible.
    I have attended and conducted bible classes as have a great many people.
    Sure there may be some who do not know it well, but I do think that the majority have become familiar with it.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:47 PM
    Can Satan repent?
    After much thought about that I think he can because he was created with self determination.
    Whether it will do him any good to repent, I doubt it because the bible tells us that he and the other fallen angels are doomed to hell for all time.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Feb 7, 2009, 09:05 PM

God would not have put in the Bible the result for satan if he had the option to repent.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:27 PM
    savedsinner7, I think that Satan can repent for he has free will.
    BUT...
    I also think that if he does it will do him not good. His fate is sealed.
    He may repent but he will not be forgiven.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Feb 7, 2009, 09:31 PM

God allows repentance only for so long, then people's hearts will permanently harden against the Spirit. Satan does not have the option any more. He hardened against God before he was even cast out of heaven to begin with.

Feb 7, 2009, 09:44 PM

Satan was cast down because he desired to place himself where only God is. He will be cast into the lake of fire and all those who follow after his nature will follow his punishment. Satan cannot repent. It is not his nature.

Is 14
    The Fall of Lucifer
    12 “ How you are fallen from heaven,
    O Lucifer,[b] son of the morning!
    How you are cut down to the ground,
    You who weakened the nations!
    13 For you have said in your heart:

' I will ascend into heaven,
    I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
    I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
    On the farthest sides of the north;
    14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
    I will be like the Most High.'
    15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
    To the lowest depths of the Pit.

Satan Thrown Out of Heaven

7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them[a] in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
    10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

Rev. 20
    10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where[b] the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
    The Great White Throne Judgment

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God,[c] and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. 14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.[d] 15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
    savedsinner7 ,
    Thanks for all of that but...
    I still think that Satan can repent if he decides to but it will do him no good, he will not be forgiven.
    An example...
    If a person commits the unforgivable sin, slandering the Holy Spirit and repents it will do him no good for he will not be forgiven as Jesus tells us.
    Peace and kindness,
    Repentance in one thing; forgiveness is another.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    savedsinner7, I think that Satan can repent for he has free will.
    BUT.....
    I also think that if he does it will do him not good. His fate is sealed.
    He may repent but he will not be forgiven.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    He had freewill when he chose to try to make himself God. Once sin has been committed, there is a penalty to be paid. Jesus paid the price for us on the cross. There has been no such option set aside for Satan and the demons.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 12:07 AM
    I believe that Satan still has his free will and can repent id he wants to though it will do him no good.
    Repentance and forgiveness ARE two different things.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    I believe that Satan still has his free will and can repent id he wants to though it will do him no good.
    Repentance and forgiveness ARE two different things.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Then this is a purely an academic exercise, because scripture also says that the heart of man is continually (or always evil) (Gen 6:5), and thus without the work of the Holy Spirit (John 6:44), we would not repent either. Satan does not have the work of the Holy Spirit working to restore Him. If the heart of man is evil continually, then how much more evil is Satan, the source of the rebellion and hatred against God. Without a work of God, how would repentance be possible, if it requires God's work on us to repent?

Feb 8, 2009, 02:41 PM

Repentance is to turn from your way and follow God's way. Repentance is to agree with God that you have done wrong. Satan does not have this ability. He cannot repent.

Joel 2:12
    [ A Call to Repentance ] That is why the Lord says,“Turn to me now, while there is time.Give me your hearts.Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning.

Zephaniah 2:2
    Gather before judgment begins,before your time to repent is blown away like chaff.Act now, before the fierce fury of the Lord fallsand the terrible day of the Lord's anger begins.

Luke 24:47
    It was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: 'There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.'

There is promised forgiveness for all who repent and there is a time while repentance is accepted. Satan's judgment and punishment have been set, therefore he is beyond the grace of forgiveness and repentance.

Feb 8, 2009, 02:58 PM

Akoue, I did not state what you claim I stated. I have given Biblical scripture for my position, but have never responded to the claim about satan's free will.

I will do so now. He was a cherished angel. Angels were not given free will, they were created to serve God. I do not believe satan currently has the capacity of free will.

Your red dot is inaccurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What power do we have to repent? [ 9 Answers ]

Have you experienced power over sin? Were you able to repent? Give us some details.

"Repent and be baptized [ 8 Answers ]

Acts 2:38 Peter said, "Repent and be baptized, everyone of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Just wondering what this verse means to you?

Was Satan the first freethinker? [ 7 Answers ]

He makes the Adams and Eves ashamed of their bestial ignorance and obedience; he emancipates them, stamps upon their mind the seal of liberty and humanity, in urging them to disobey and eat of the fruit of knowledge. Offers them freedom from the most jealous, the most vain, the most ferocious, the...

Satan [ 6 Answers ]

When God created angels I understand that Lucifer (Satan) had a different name. Does anyone know that name?

Forward this message or you'll repent [ 5 Answers ]

Lately, I have been receiving mails saying if I don't pass that mail someone's kid is going to die or something bad will happen. I know for sure that that is all bull**** but why do they send such E-Mails. Is this some sort of advertisement program or what?

View more questions Search