Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wiseguyraw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Smell cats under trailor
    I live in a single wide trailor on a farm. There are a lot of stray cats around and they are living under my trailor. Recently they have started spraying, due to being in heat. When I turn on my heat the smell BLASTS though my heating vents. Can I drop something down the vents like moth balls or another smelling agent.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 10:46 AM
    You are ot of luck until you get rid of the cats under the trailer or enclose the trailer lower sides and back to prevent them from getting under there to start with. A trap or good pellet gun has worked in the past for me.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Feb 6, 2009, 10:55 AM

Get a dog that hates cats :), put some skirting on that trailer that keeps out all pests, then see if the odor dissipates after some time. If it does not you may have a leak in your ductwork and/or you will need it cleaned.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 07:49 PM
    I`ve heard leadpoison works pretty well
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    I`ve heard leadpoison works pretty well
    What caliber of "lead poison" do you recommend?:D
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:57 AM
    At least a 22 caliber is recommended around here in WV,, from a long distance puts a little sport into it
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Feb 7, 2009, 10:04 AM

Though a fan of "lead poisoning" myself for vermin larger than 1/2lb, this can have various outcomes. Lets deal with the most immediate problem first.

The cat's urine is pretty powerful stuff. If it is the male's "marking" spray, then you need to find exactly what it is that is being sprayed and replace it, if possible. If you are smelling it in your ducts, I am guessing you may have some duct damage under your trailer, whether it was caused by the cats or not. Inspect the ducts to ensure they are still intact.

Closing in the bottom of the trailer is a good thing for many reasons, from keeping pests out, to aiding in temperature control.

What part of the world are you in? If you are in an area prone to mice/rats, snakes, other smaller vermin, I would suggest not completely getting rid of the cats, as they are what would be keeping the other vermin at bay.

If you choose to thin the 'herd' as opposed to complete eradication, then selectively "lead poison" the males, as they are the main culprit for the wonderful smell. Remember to "poison" them out in the open, no while they are under the trailer, because you have to be able to retrieve them after the act to dispose of them. You don't want dead things under the trailer, you'd rather smell the spray!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

My cats are aggressive to the other cats. [ 3 Answers ]

I have 5 cats, but 2 of them (both girls) are very aggressive towards the others. I'm a bit worried because they keep beating up on my kitten... So far she's got a torn ear, a chunk out of her leg, several scratches, and very uneven fur. I locked them into my room to avoid trouble, but is there an...

Trailor park [ 4 Answers ]

I Live Nnext Door To A Trailor Park That Has Been closed down .The hurricane desyroyed it . Its looks horrable an has to be against some health code.. how do I get the owners to put up a private fence. The trailor park belongs to a company in another state, they have it for sale.

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search