Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shivvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
    Unknown skin rash
    So for about the last year or so I have had these spots on my inner elbows and abdomen and have done lots of research online but can't really figure it out. Have not gone to see a doctor because I do not have medical insurance. Sometimes the spots get very reddish and extremely noticeable, and other times they fade almost to what looks like a birthmark, but is also very noticeable and somewhat embarrassing. If anyone can help me to figure out what this is and or how to treat it I would greatly appreciate I am including a few pictures to help give an idea what they look like..
    Attached Images

artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 03:51 PM

Hi shivvr you might want to add that you are 21 and the rash started when you were around 18 and that it does not itch.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 04:03 PM

I sent a nurse on here a private message for you so I hope she gets back to you.Anyone wondering out there,this is my son! My youngest.. awww
    I see it's a day later and still no answers.I think you should look up pityriasis rosea,you do not have all of the symptoms but that is not conclusive.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2009, 12:28 PM

Are there any scales or flaking on some of them? Any itching at all? Best bet would be to see a dermatologist to know for sure.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hi DulaLC
    I'm Mom and I can answer. There is no itching or flaking. I was thinking of Pityriasis Rosea,are you familiar with that?
    We have no insurance and can't really afford a doctor visit and pay cash.
    Thanks for your response,much appreciated.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2009, 01:01 PM

It shows attributes of Rosea... and since it doesn't seem to bother him, other than appearance, he likely wouldn't need to do anything about it. But it does cover quite a large area of skin, and with not knowing for sure whether that is what it is or not, he really should have it looked at for confirmation.

I'd call a dermatologist and ask what an office visit would cost then put some money aside now and then to save for the visit. Or check with your local health department and see if they would be able to determine what it is.
    bangalore12 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 11:50 PM
    My son has exzema . It looks like your pictures, he would always get it behind the elbows, knees, and on his stomach, but his was worse when he was young. He's eighteen now and rarely has a flare up. Over the counter Cortizone cream did wonders for him. Check in your area for a free clinic or medical university that will see you for free or cheep. It may be something easy and affordabe to treat.
    robin1988 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 03:54 AM
    Hi everyone... I also have the same problem... its bothering me a lot... its in my abdominal region as well as all around the collar bone.. pls help..
    soupnazi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 10:30 PM
    My hubby's fungal skin rash looked like that, it just flared up here and there, it's overgrowth of normal skin yeast, similar to the kind that cause dandruff in some people. One thing to try, just to see if it works, is nizoral shampoo. It's a weaker version of the cream he had to use when he flared up. Use it as body wash for a little while and leave it on the skin a bit. See if it helps, and if so, maybe you have an idea what's going on. That said, of course, a dermatologist will know right away. Our regular doctor figured it out quickly, looked at a scraping from the rash under a microscope. Whenever he has a flare up, he uses the shampoo for a few days to a week, then stops until the next time. He only gets it on his chest and abdomen, fyi. Not itchy, not scaly, just red splotches.
    yesitsjustme Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 07:12 AM
    Well, not 100% sure but I get a very similar rash that occurs seasonally( usually FALL), for about 14 years now. It's fungal (this doesn't mean your dirty just sensitive to your surroundings especially if you're an outdoor person)... a steroid shot knocks it out every time. It was scaly and itched in the beginning (first two weeks while its presenting) after that nothing. The structure of the rash looks almost identical to what I had. I don't have the medical name for it, but it definitely looks like a fungal rash. Hope this helps.
    thesweets918 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 01:35 AM
    My boyfriend has a similar skin formation. They are just little pink spots that kind of resemble ringworms in some spots (they are not ringworms though... it is nothing contagious.)
    He has had it on his collarbone area for about three years now, and lately it's been slowly getting further spread out to his neck and abdomen. They appear a lot darker whenever he gets out of the shower. We've tried switching shampoos, conditioner, soap, and laundry detergents and they still show up.
    We went to a doctor about a year ago, but the doctors in my town aren't the greatest. He said it was probably some form of eczema or acne (which I highly doubt, since I have looked different forms of those up and that doesn't seem similar at all).
    His brother has been told by doctors that his skin is very sensitive to hot water (almost like an allergy to it), so I am thinking that maybe this is some sort of reaction from water too.
    I don't know... cream sometimes helps it... or maybe it doesn't, because some days the spots are barely noticeable without even doing anything, and then some days they are all over his skin.
    But if you ever find out what it is, post it on here!
    Dontuseurname Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 01:08 PM
    This is identical to what I have, down to the very tee. I have also had it since I was 19 and I am 22 now. Don’t have insurance to afford to see a doctor, and have done research on it, but haven’t found out what it is exactly. Some days it seems faint and almost unrecognizable but other days, (especially after I get out of the shower, it gets every noticeable.) It has been spreading slowly since I got it. I have a feeling it is some sort of fungi virus. I have yet to try any cream on it, I think that it might be a virus only because the guy I dated for a while had the similar thing, and it started after we were together. He had an anti- fungal cream that he uses, but it never seemed to do much in my opinion. But it could be a fungus; it just seems weird timing when it started. Would appreciate any other thoughts.
    thesweets918 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 08:46 PM
    I wonder if its some sort of symptom from vitamin D deficiency? My boyfriend and I went tanning a few times to get a base tan for our tropical vacation and after the second time he went tanning the marks went away. It's been about two months since we got back from our vacation, and they still have not came back.
    grasshopper70 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2012, 05:34 PM
    I have this same rash. It flares up more in warmer weather. I asked my ob/gyn about it years ago and he said it was a fungal rash, but I don't remember him telling me the name of it. He prescribed clotrimazole cream for me to use and it works great, but if I go without using it, it comes right back. You can get this over the counter. I'm still researching this myself. From what I'm learning, it has to do with an overgrowth of yeast in my body (candida). I have other symptoms that point to this as well. I've decided to go to a naturopathic doctor who can help me to stop masking over the problems with creams or pills and get to the root of the problem so I can heal from the inside out. Hope this helps.

Nov 8, 2012, 05:39 PM
    You can also get it in a spray, which works better for getting coverage on your back. Look in the athlete's foot section. It is the active ingredient in Lotrimin and comes in a cream and a spray.

Nov 8, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Just found this. I believe it's the same thing. Diet tips For Tinea Versicolor - Tinea Versicolor And Your Diet | Find Home Remedy
    sophiahennry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2014, 10:24 PM
    Tinea versicolor is a skin condition characterized by a rush like symptom on an individual's abdomen or chest area. Other areas which are also prone to the infection include: the backside, underarms and the neck areas. The condition is painless hence it may well go unnoticed in some cases. Depending on your skin tone, the spots can either appear darker or lighter. The condition also tends to vary in magnitude depending on the weather conditions. When the conditions are hot and humid, the yeast fungus Pityrosporum orbiculare (Malassezia furfur) which naturally lives on our skins multiply hence pronouncing the symptoms. This behavioural habit of the skin condition makes it hard to treat the condition hence can explain why the disease is characterised by recurring episodes.

Tinea versicolor can take different appearance depending on the individual infected. In some people, the condition makes the skin to appear scaly with some discoloration while in others the skin appears to have some dark reddish patches/spots. One thing that stands out with the condition is that once exposed to the sunlight, the patches/spots have a tendency of appearing somehow lighter than the surrounding area.

There are a number of remedies available when it comes to treating this skin disorder. For mild cases, the condition can effectively be dealt with using over the counter prescriptions such as: Ketoconazole shampoo and Selenium sulphide shampoo. Home remedies such as Clotrimazole cream/lotion have also been known to be effective for mild cases. Extreme cases always present a challenge when it comes to treating the condition. In such a case, antifungal pills are normally seen as the best option. Most of the antifungal pills need to be prescribed by a dermatologist because some of them are known to have serious side effects.

To learn more about this skin disorder, you can refer Tinea Versicolor Treatment | Ranzynn .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Skin Rash [ 1 Answers ]

For the past year or so, I have been getting these rashes when I get out the shower and when I run. My skin turns slightly red then a very small bump shows up. It sometimes looks just like a mosquito bight. The rash usually slightly itches. Again, usually only when I get out the shower in the...

Skin rash [ 9 Answers ]

I have the weirdest rash that occurs on the back of my neck from time to time. It is a string of perfect red circles, each one about the size of an M&M... It does not itch, it's not scaley, it doesn't hurt but when I run my fingers across it , it feels a little burny or sensitive. Not much at all...

Unknown rash [ 1 Answers ]

I was sitting outside the other day and I noticed my palms sweating. Then I feel my hands swelling up and they were turning bright red. I also noticed an itchy rash on both arms and the back of my leg. I went to the doctor and he thought it could have been an allergic reaction to something. I think...

View more questions Search