Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Feb 5, 2009, 09:52 PM
    How to Become a Tax Preparer
    What do I need to do to become a paid tax preparer and be legally able to sign IRS tax returns as such? Also what do I need to do to sign tax returns in New York State? Can I just take a test without taking an entire course which I don't need? Also, what kind of software would I need and how much would it cost?

I have taken tax accounting in college and currently work as an accountant so I am confident I could prepare simple to moderate returns if I just brushed up my skills. And if all I have to do is take a test I am great and studying so that won't be a problem.

Thanks - JC
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Feb 5, 2009, 11:31 PM

To my knowledge all you have to do is put a shingle up to prepare returns. Unless there is some requirement in your state. Sorry don't know about NY. In NC all you need to do is buy a privilege license and you can go to work. However to represent a taxpayer with the IRS is a little more challenging. Review Circular 230 and the Form 2848, Power of Attorney instructions.

There are a lot of continuing education courses out there that will allow you to brush up on what you would like, individual, corporate, partnership, etc.

As far as software, the industry has consolidated over the last few years, and there aren't as many vendors as there used to be. A few players-Turbotax, Drake, Creative Solutions,ATX, CCH ProSystem, TaxWise are a few. There are others. I'm sure you will get more responses.

Let me know if you need more info.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Feb 6, 2009, 12:06 PM

I found this I think it answers my question.

Tips for Choosing a Tax Preparer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Preparer Mistake! [ 1 Answers ]

First let me give some background information. My boyfriend and I have been on-again - off-again for years. We do have 2 children together and he does currently live with me, but his name is not on the lease, we do not share bank accounts and do not name each other as beneficiaries on life...

Becoming a tax preparer [ 4 Answers ]

How do you become a tax preparer? Do tax preparers make good money?

View more questions Search