Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flooding Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Backup Water in Basement from Sump Pump
    I had a house built 18 years ago over a wooded area along with 9 other homes in a culdasac. Each time we loose electricity, our basement floods within 2-4 hours. We have a sump pump and have burned up 3 pumps thus far. I believe it is possible a spring is under my home but not sure how I can tell. No other home on the culdasac has this issue but mine. I believe their water is draining to my home and my pump is working overtime. I live in Kentucky and just experienced an ice storm. My electric was out for 6 hours and my finished basement was flooded by the water coming up through the drain. I have tried a battery backup system but the backup pump can't keep up with the amount of water entering into the home. I need to understand what type of construction will be necessary to come up with a fix if there is NO electric. I purchased a generator 10 years ago and this has saved us many times. However, this last incident, we were asleep when the electric went out and did not have time to start the generator. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 04:03 PM

Tuff situation

Is this a full basement or daylight?

What's the layout in slopes around the house and how big is the yard. Please include all swales in grades and the topography of the other yards above you.

Your answer would help me on my approach
    To help solve your question

Also is there a collage near you and they may be able to help you in the natural spring part.

You can call a geologist but that usually requires money for an answer. Collages many times has used there geo area for study and you could be surprised at how much they may know.

Meanwhile did you check this type of backup sump pumps?

Basement Watchdog Battery Operated Backup Sump Pumps Home Page

http://www.radonseal.com/backup-sump-pumps.htm

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 05:06 PM

Are you on city water or well?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which backup sump pump should I get for my basement? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a battery backup sump pump for my basement. I have a fairly shallow pit only about 17inches deep with stone under it preventing me from digging deeper. I have a high water table which causes my 1/2HP main pump to turn on often during heavy storms and the low depth of the pit...

Basement water / sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

We have water coming into our basement when it rains. Until recently, the water flowed into a drain in a recessed area of the basement and did not cause many problems except for a wet floor. Recently we ran a new drain line from the house to the city main which bypasses the drain in the basement....

Tieing in a backup sump pump to existing copper discharge pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I can tie in a backup sump pump into an existing copper discharge pipe of 1.5 inches. The back up pump comes with a "y" connector made of PVC. How do I connect the PVC connector into the copper discharge pipe? Thanks.

Improper venting, backup from sump pump to vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Help! We moved into an old house, our plumbing vent is about 4 ft. from basement floor. Every time we use kitchen sink or bathtub, it backs up into vent pipe. Also, our sump pump backs up into vent. We have tried to snake it and also poured drain cleaner down every drain. I know the vent should be...

Toilet in the basement with a sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with a toilet in the basement with a sump pump it wants to back up after a few flushes and it will go down when the pump comes on. What is the problem?

View more questions Search