Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mathstudent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Any precautions to take?
    I've been on the pill for a couple years, and after getting a pap smear I was given some medication for a UTI I never had symptoms of, but was told was found. The nurse who called me told me I couldn't drink while I was on the medication, but never said anything about interference with BC.

I started taking the medications last Thursday, and on Sunday had.. intercourse.. with someone I've been seeing here and there for a while.. we both got tested and trust each other, and since I'm on the pill we don't use protection.

Last night while checking how long the meds I'm on (until tomorrow) would keep me away from alcolhol (because I want to go out with friends this weekend) I stumbled upon the warning that the medication can make birth control ineffective.

I am aware that I have to wait a month to see whether that night will have consequences, but I was just wondering if there's anything I should be doing differently until that time just in case. I'm a university student, and I know that you can't drink and eat a bunch of things during pregnancy, but if I just go on (drinking and not watching what I'm eating), if I am pregnant will that be harmful to the fetus?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 01:06 PM

Antibiotics can diminish the effectiveness of birth control pills so it is often suggested to use a condom during the medication as an extra precaution. Odds are that the one time incident will not result in a pregnancy, but you may want to avoid alcohol and watch what you eat until you know for sure. It won't be a long time to have to abstain.

It would be wise to be on a multivitamin with 400 mcg (more is fine) of folic acid just because you are of childbearing age and pregnancy will still be a possibility even while on the pill. Having enough of this vitamin can help prevent certain birth defects that occur very early in a pregnancy. So even women who are not trying to get pregnant should be on it just in case an unexpected pregnancy occurs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Precautions for cartilage piercings done at home? [ 5 Answers ]

ok...i pierced my own cartilage,,, i used a safety pin and it feels like i thought it would pain when i lay on it,,,which i never did again,a little when i get close to the pierced place...are there any precautions i should worry about other than cleaning it?...I've been cleaning it by taking the...

Unwed Parents. What precautions can I take? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a three year old child. I am still in custody battles with his father. I have since met a wonderful man and though we have had our ups and downs we work well together and have amny of the same dreams and goals. We recently became pregnant despite precautions but we are not ready to get...

What precautions should I take before renting to risky renters? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm renting out my 5 bedroom home in a very nice area and neighborhood, etc to a family that is having some hard times. There home is being foreclosed on. My home is up for sale and the market is bad. They're daughter goes to school with my daughter. I figure I would help them out if they help...

Precautions to take while having sex [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone help me by telling what precautions should a girl to take while having sex for the first time after marriage? Is there a lot of pain for a girl? If there is what is the way to lessen the pain? Help required urgently Thanks in advance

Buying Precautions? [ 2 Answers ]

We're seriously considering purchasing a property in FL and want to be sure we're doing all of our homework. Foreclosure proceedings have been initiated, but the owner still retains the right to pay off the debt, so we'd be purchasing it through the current owner. The property has Title...

View more questions Search