Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

Feb 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
    As stupid as this sounds
    As stupid as this sounds.. how do you worry about myself and be more independent with out being a total jerk about it. I do everything for my girlfriend, and I never think about myself, I'm always worried about what she's thinking or what she's doing. And I don't want to do that anymore... ughhh
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Feb 5, 2009, 07:02 PM
    I'm pretty new here, so I'd appreciate it if you could supply some more details. How would you like things, ideally?

Feb 5, 2009, 09:33 PM

I would like to not worry so much about what my girlfriends doing,
    When she gets mad about something stupid how I could just let it go in one ear and out the other with out getting mad back as if it doesn't bother me, I want to be independent and just worry about myself, but I don't know how I get mad back I worry about everything. Its weird. I want to be the person who doesn't have to relie on someone else, but myself

Feb 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Oh. I've had that feeling when my girl friend doesn't seem to have the same feelings for me that I have for her. Not in the relationship I'm in now, but in one past relationship in particular. It seemed that she was always perfectly fine to be away from me or off with friends and I would sort of wait for her to call or come around. If that's the case, this girl friend probably isn't a good match for you, and another will come along who'll be much more compatible with you.

If this isn't the case, maybe your problem is communication. If your girlfriend is getting angry at "stupid" things, what is it she's doing? Does she yell? Gripe? Is she getting angry at stuff you're doing? You need to talk with her and let her know that her anger is getting to you. Being in a healthy relationship means communicating with your partner. Nobody can truly know what's going on with you (anger, frustration, fear) unless you tell them. I used to be afraid to communicate my feelings, but then I discovered (with the help of an ex) that it strengthened our bond.

Good luck to you!

Feb 6, 2009, 12:12 PM

She hates to communicate though. I try to talk to her and she says babe I don't feel like talking about it or I don't want to talk about its not a big deal. Its just It bothers me that I guess when I stick up for myself it causes a fight and when I don't stick up for myself I feel so bad and ughh. I know she loves me and I know I love her its just I always worry about what she's doing. I think its because she cheated on me that one time. And I won't let it go but she tells me she would never do it again! Does this make sense at all or am I just a ed up person?

Feb 6, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlesnik33 View Post
    She hates to communicate though. I try to talk to her and she says babe i dont feel like talking about it or i dont want to talk about its not a big deal. Its just It bothers me that i guess when i stick up for myself it causes a fight and when i dont stick up for myself i feel so bad and ughh. I know she loves me and i know i love her its just i always worry about what shes doing. I think its because she cheated on me that one time. And i wont let it go but she tells me she would never do it again!! Does this make sense at all or am i just a ed up person?

Yikes! You'll be effed up if you stay with her and she doesn't communicate with you! Your feelings are a "big deal" and you do need to stick up for yourself. Have the two of you ever been to counseling over her cheating incident? Of course you're worried about what she's up to! If she cheated once, she'll cheat again, unless you've really worked through this with a counselor. If she's not willing to hash things over with you, you'd be better off with somebody else, trust me. It's not worth it, even if you think she's your one and only... I've been in that spot before, where I thought somebody was so wonderful and guess what? She wasn't. Good luck...
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 07:44 PM
    I agree, no more girlfriend and learn how to just be yourself before meeting anyone else. It is so obvious to me that this is not the right situation for you. How old are you?

Feb 6, 2009, 09:47 PM

I am 20 I really do have my whole life, we have been together for almost 3 years lived together for 2. It just bothers me that I feel as if I'm not happy anymore but at the same time I am!? Weird I know. But like I could have work 12 30 to 8 30 and I would call her like 5 times (the house phone) just to make sure she's at home and she gets mad at me for calling all the time. But it just makes me feel much better knowing she's there. And when she talks about her friends who are friends with her ex girlfriend the one she cheated on me with I get mad at her and she gets mad at me for it. I just want to be in a relationship and not seem so nosy snoopy and checking up all the time. But I want it to be with her. Im just a confused soul

Feb 7, 2009, 09:56 AM
    She's irritated by your checking up on her and your irritation when she speaks with people acquainted with her ex. Those are annoying things, however... your insecurity is a direct result of her cheating. She shouldn't dismiss your need to talk about this. I strongly suggest couples counseling... you would greatly benefit from a trained professional's point of view for this situation. Otherwise, you'll keep on going as you are, which is unsatisfactory for you. This situation is not magically going to remedy itself.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 10:15 AM

Sometimes for your own peace of mind you have to say to yourself*I'm just not going to let you get into my head* and mean it.
    It takes practice but it can be done.You are in control of your thoughts,you have to learn to believe that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sounds from PC while it is off? [ 7 Answers ]

Every once in awhile I have this happen, and it was just recently happening again this morning. The exact details are that I built this PC myself about a year ago and today is probably the 3rd time I had heard these noises. Basically they sound like a HDD being accessed while the PC is off. I tried...

Might sounds old. [ 6 Answers ]

I know there are always a lot of these questions flying around but I have another one. My last real period was Oct 5th. It is now November 18th. I had a slight period on the 11th but it was brown discharge and got light red and brown for a small total of 2 days. I was using the withdrawl...

Car Sounds? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 95 nissan altima gxe, lately I have had this boiling water sound coming from my car, and I don't know what it is exactly and how to fix it. Dose anyone know? What could it be and how would I fix it?

Log on off Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to change the log on sound byte for users on my PC . Also is there a way to add a log off sound byte as well? Win 2000 pro Thanks

No Sounds [ 3 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

View more questions Search