Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanzhu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 08:46 AM
    What do you think about this topic?
    "The most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently committed to particular principles and objectives. Any leader who is quickly and easily influenced by shifts in popular opinion will accomplish little"
    I have no idea at all. Could you help me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Hello w:

We'd actually be happy to help you with your homework... But YOU have to DO it first. Then if you present it HERE, we'll help you fix it up.

excon

Feb 5, 2009, 09:13 AM

Hi, I'm glad you can help me.
    Okay, I will write it now

Feb 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Hi excon:
    The following is my homework. It takes me a long time, but I have no more better example to support my idea... So the number of words is not enough... :o

======================================

What is the most essential quality of an effective leader? The speaker claims that it is the ability to remain consistently committed to particular principles and objectives. Furthermore, any leader who is quickly and easily influenced by shifts in popular opinion, in his eyes, will accomplish little. In some degree, I support this view, but an effective leader should balance between the two.

Admittedly, throughout history, many excellent leaders, no matter in business, politics, or any other teams, have independence with far vision, and never go with the stream. Otherwise, they will not be outstanding from the mass. Take William Seward, the former Secretary of State for example. In 1867, he made an exchange and bought the land of Alaska, a bare and barren land from Russia, spending 7million dollars. When they reached the agreement, the whole country was in an uproar, and lots of senator accused him, not mention to understanding his decision. However, several years later, that exchange was proved to be an advertise idea. A quite number of natural resources were founded there, such as large energy sources, many gold mines, high level of fish output and so forth. And this discovery at last ended people's debate. If Seward did not remain his principle and dare not make this decision, just following with others, a good chance which can bring huge benefits to people will be lost. This case illustrates that leaders should keep well their own heads sober-mind and not be quickly and easily influenced by shifts in popular opinion.

However, leaders’ remaining their principles does not mean that they can do anything as his own way and not consider other's opinions at all. Anyone cannot consider things thoroughly and on a full scale. Therefore, they should rely on opinions of others to weigh all kinds of alternatives. This is important for a leader to make a decision, especially for governors. A classical example is about an issue about whether the track for Magnetically Levitated Train should be built near the residential area in Shanghai, a city in China. Many residents there disagreed with that project made by Shanghai government, because that track will bring more danger, noises, and radiation risk. Thereby, the leader should take interests of residents into account first rather than benefits of economy brought by that project. Thus, the petition from citizens, voices from residents should be paid more attention. At last, that issue was ended with the abolishment of project. In fact, leaders, especially in politics should listen carefully to the views of public, because the reason why they are elected is that they can serve better for their people.

All in all, the ability to remain his principles is necessity for an effective leader, especially for one of far vision. At the same time, an effective leader should also respect and refer to others opinions widely.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Hello again, w:

I think you did very well. It's a clear and concise analysis. Just expand on what you spoke about, if you need to say more.

I'm proud of you. Most people we ask to do the work first never come back. They just want us to do the work for them. You didn't. Good for you!

excon

Feb 5, 2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks for your reply, and your encouragement.
    But do you have some examples concerning this topic?

Feb 7, 2009, 11:00 PM

Oh,no...
    Who can help me?
    And I think this is a wrong place to be moved here... it should belongs to reading & writing category

Feb 12, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello w:

We'd actually be happy to help you with your homework... But YOU have to DO it first. Then if you present it HERE, we'll help you fix it up
    excon
    A promise, but...
    I'm sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Same topic [ 2 Answers ]

I'm getting water in my furnace when running my air conditioner. What could be the problem?

I need a topic [ 1 Answers ]

For the past three years our high school has been doing storytelling (memorizing a story then telling it aloud). This year however, we have to do speeches. This is a problem for me because I have no idea what to talk about. I'm looking for a topic that isn't so inceridibly serious that it make...

Never seen this topic before... [ 5 Answers ]

This is a unique problem that I am not quite sure what to do about it. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 14 years, living together for maybe 10. During the past 2 years our relationship has stagnated into more housemates instead of lovers. We are good friends and get along very...

View more questions Search