Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jinxz Posts: 64, Reputation: 3

Feb 4, 2009, 11:24 PM
    Can Someone Give Me Some Info On Laser Eye Surgery?
    Can someone give me some information on laser eye surgery? Such as how they do it, does it work most times, how does it feel, painful? How much is it and such.
    Or some other kind, perhaps, safer, less expensive, way of correcting bad vision?
    Thanks~!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 11:35 PM

Hi, Jinxz!

There's a lot of information that can be found by clicking on the following link to a site.

LASIK & Laser Eye Surgery - A Complete Consumer Guide

There's also the following search that you might want to click on to see what you can find on different sites.

All About Laser Eye Surgery - Google Search

There's also the possibility that someone will come along who has been through such a procedure. Hopefully, there is someone like that on this site.

ChihuahuaMomma is our Vision Expert on the site. As such, I'm sure that she'll eventually come along to address your post.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 02:23 AM

If your nearsighted, you may still have to wear glasses for close work.

Check out IZON for what I might call Lasik for glasses.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    Can someone give me some information on laser eye surgery? Such as how they do it, does it work most times, how does it feel, painful? how much is it and such.
    Or some other kind, perhaps, safer, less expensive, way of correcting bad vision?
    Thanks~!
    Depends on the type of surgery the surgeon decides that you need. Not all vision corrective surgeries are created equal. It's customized to your current vision and the vision that you require. I can't answer the question, "How do they do it" because it depends on the laser used, the surgeon, and the procedure you end up having. It's generally not painful until after the fact when it burns a little. The prices varies depending on where you are and what procedure you end up having. It can start from $599 an eye to $5,000 an eye... It just depends. You could always look into vision therapy. But without knowing exactly what your prescription is, it's hard to tell.
    Jinxz Posts: 64, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2009, 07:45 PM

Well, for some information, I can't see far away objects clearly, my prescription is 650, it may even be worse, Im supposed to get my eyes checked again in Feb. I did some vision therapy for around 5 months, but it only helped by a little bit and it went away, so we stopped because it seemed to waste time. The main reason we think my vision is bad is because when I was like a few months old or something, I got an infection on my head. The doctors (Which in that country, not so good doctors, my grandfather has some sort of cancer and they didn't give him any treatment until it was too late ><) gave me a needle shot of medication but on my head, which some how damaged my vision, every since I was little I had terrible vision, I thought it was normal that the street lights (the bulb part) were like the size of plums n all. But yes, I guess you are right ChihuahuaMama, I guess Ill just have to wait until Im old enough to find how much it is and all. I have one more question though, what prescription do you have to have for it to be too late to try to correct your vision? Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 07:54 PM

Two years ago or so my son age 33 had out patient laser eye surgery, I went with him. He tells me that there was very little pain, more discomfort than anything else. According to him, his vision has improved immensely. The discomfort actuality lasted for only a short period.

He did a lot of research prior to choosing a surgeon, and in considering the costs.
    Vision Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    If your nearsighted, you may still have to wear glasses for close work.

Check out IZON for what I might call Lasik for glasses.
    I think you mean farsighted.
    Vision Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    Well, for some information, I can't see far away objects clearly, my prescription is 650, it may even be worse, Im supposed to get my eyes checked again in Feb. I did some vision therapy for around 5 months, but it only helped by alittle bit and it went away, so we stopped because it seemed to waste time. The main reason we think my vision is bad is because when I was like a few months old or something, I got an infection on my head. The doctors (Which in that country, not so good doctors, my grandfather has some sort of cancer and they didnt give him any treatment until it was too late ><) gave me a needle shot of medication but on my head, which some how damaged my vision, every since I was little I had terrible vision, I thought it was normal that the street lights (the bulb part) were like the size of plums n all. But yes, I guess you are right ChihuahuaMama, I guess Ill just have to wait until Im old enough to find how much it is and all. I have one more question though, what prescription do you have to have for it to be too late to try to correct your vision? Thanks!
    I assume you mean -6.50? Is that both eyes? Is there an astigmatism? Prism? Bifocal? It depends on the machine and the surgeon. Some surgeons won't correct over a certain prescription, and some machines only correct a certain amount. These are questions better left reserved for the surgeon him/herself. I know this isn't really a help. But a consultation is going to tell you everything you need to know. And you don't have to be 18 to do just the consultation. And honestly you should wait until 20 to get the surgery, because your eyes are still changing up until that point.
    Zernike Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Really, the ideal way to find out if you are a good candidate for LASIK is to go to a highly reputable LASIK physician for a free consultation. You didn't mention where you live but here are a few I know of: Free LASIK consultation Denver, Colorado , Free LASIK consultation Orange County, California, Free LASIK consultation Los Angeles, California, Free LASIK consultation Cherry Hill, New Jersey. If I knew where you live, I could recommend others. Just don't go to one of those low-cost LASIK clinics, where they simply process everyone with a heartbeat into having surgery! Trust your eyes only to a highly experienced ophthalmologist.
    Vision Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

**Please note that this post is about 8 months old and the OP's question was answered**
    Zernike Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 11:26 AM

Oh, sorry. I am new to all this.
    Vision Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 11:42 AM

No worries, I am just pointing it out. Great ways to find new questions are to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Unanswered Questions or scroll to the very top and click on Answer.
    samirch99 Posts: 25, Reputation: -1

Oct 27, 2009, 11:49 PM

I had Lasik done in both eyes earlier this month in Dubai and it costed $500 complete. I would suggest you ask the doctors where the surgery will be done and make sure adjustments should you need them in the future, be included in the price. I don't know if you know this but it only costs the doctor $300 for the equipment rental to perform this easy correction. I know see 20/20 without glasses.
    Vision Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 11:55 PM

Most doctors include "touch-ups" in the initial price for the first six months, after that time its really just a natural change in vision.

And prices vary depending on the area, company, and other reasons. So not all doctors pay $300 to rent their equipment. And some doctors own their lasers, and their computers, and all other equipment. Please only post factual information on this site, our members and guests depend on it.
    samirch99 Posts: 25, Reputation: -1

Oct 27, 2009, 11:59 PM

\"after that time period its really just a natural change in vision\"

Please state only factualy info.
    Vision Expert

Oct 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samirch99 View Post
    \"after that time period its really just a natural change in vision\"

Please state only factualy info.
    This is factual information and how doctors operate. At least here in the U.S. I worked in Optical for 5 years and in a laser office for two.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laser-Eye Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I am 18 and I was considering getting laser eye surgery this summer. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions regarding this? Should I get lasik or blade, what are the prices, etc.

Eye laser surgery [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone no how effective eyelaser surgery is? and is there any danger of something going wrong... and is it sore?

Legally what info can you give out. [ 22 Answers ]

I just found out that I got laid off and they are giving me a 3 month package of my same salary. They want me to sign papers saying I won't sue them in order to get the 3 months pay. When a new employer calls for references, will they say I was terminated or what can they legally say?

Do I have to give my info [ 1 Answers ]

I have requested an increase in child support and their father has obtained legal council. I can not afford council because he has not been paying the right amount since 2003. Long story short after we broke up and I filed he did everything in his power to evade paying. Quiting his job, getting...

Laser eye surgery [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had it done and what are the benefits and/or side-effects of this type of procedure.After wearing glasses for 20 plus years and dealing with the problems of glasses, breakage,losing them,struggling to see without them when I wake up.. etc... I am thinking of having it done so I'd like...

View more questions Search