Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    21203061 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Inheritance tax in Pennsylvania
    My father and I have a home deeded in both of our names,my father passed away three months ago I was wandering if I have to pay an inheritance tax
    21203061 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 08:07 PM
    [QUOTE=21203061;1528889]My father and I have a home deeded in both of our names since 2001,my father passed away three months ago I was wandering if I have to pay an inheritance tax in the state of Pennsylvania
    eddiy75ru Posts: 38, Reputation: 6

Jun 13, 2009, 10:23 PM

I have not specific knowledge, but with quick web search I found many recent articles on the subject; you should have done likewise since you obviously can use the Internet. Would believe since your father has passed away and many legal actions are routine to settle his estate, somebody has already explained the situation to you. From the internet articles appears PA taxes any amount from "parent to child" at 4.5%, from "sibling to sibling" at 12%, but none from "spouse to spouse." How the estate value is determined was not clear. In general I doubt having your name on the deed already makes any difference; that would be too simple allowing most people to avoid paying the tax, which seems well established as an income source in PA. Appears several attempts to pass laws reducing the inheritance tax has failed. BTW, the Federal Estate Tax does not apply until over 1.5 (or soon 2.5) Million Dollars; guess Feds could only enact estate tax for wealthier estates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the Pennsylvania SUI rate? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the Pennsylvania SUI rate?

Pennsylvania Statutes [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive/free copy of the Pennsylvania Statutes so that I can use reference on my own time? I have been to the courthouse law library as well as the public library but I would like to get a copy for myself.

Taxes, LLC, Pennsylvania [ 5 Answers ]

I am a partner in an Llc gone bad. As it stands the company is still in business and the Llc is in tact. My 2006 taxes were filed as an owner with the proper profit and loss statements. Now one of the other partners, along with his attorney, have instructed the accountant to complete the statements...

Pennsylvania State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have filed my Federal taxes and obtained ITIN for my wife and kid. I believe, I still need to file my State Tax for Pennsylvania. What form am I supposed to file ? Most of the sites (turbotax , www.taxactline.com etc) allow you to file both Federal and State tax together. Since I have...

Pennsylvania adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Philadelphia on 6/6/59 and was adopted in Pennsylvania in the same year. What would be the procedure to check on my birth records if I wanted to find my birth mother? I've heard that the adoption records are sealed in that state. Is this true and who would I contact? Thanks!:)

View more questions Search