Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashey23ole Posts: 69, Reputation: 5

Feb 4, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Price for babysitting vacation!
    Hi All,

Im a 20yr old college student and a family I babysit for asked me to join them for a week in the Poconos (Pennslyvannia) over the summer. Of course, I'm young, I could be doing many other alternatives however they are great and I get along well with their 2 kids who are 10 and 6. They said they would only need me for 16 hours total throughout the week. They are paying for everything for me including meals and water park entrances. They asked me what to charge them for the week. I was unsure so I asked a couple of friends and most said in between the $250-$300 range. $144 for the 16 hours, $50 gas for driving (I have to drive to their house which is 4 hours away before and after) and the remainder for my time... fair right?

They gave me their number first, $200...

Should I accept $200 or ask for more?? I mean I am staying for a wholeeee week for only 16 hours of it. Plus I have a feeling ill be with the kids way more than 16 hours. The oldest loves me and will want to do everything with me...

Please thoughts!! Feedback!!

Should I accept??
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 02:53 AM
    That works out to $9.00/hr for the sitting, plus the $50.00 for gas.

Considering that these are older children (no diapers, bottles etc.), the fact that it is only 16 hours out of the entire week that you will be sitting, and all your expenses are being paid, I'd say $200.00 is a bonus.

I think it is a nice opportunity for you to mostly vacation, not work, with no worries about paying for meals, accommodation, waterpark fees etc. which would be a tidy sum in itself if you were going otherwise.

If you choose not to go, and find another job for the week, that is understandable.

But, considering they invited you, for very little in return, for which they are willing to pay, I'd say go if you can, and have a great time.
    dglennware Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Feb 8, 2009, 08:05 PM

I would say you should maybe ask for the gas money you mentioned and that is about it. I had at one time asked a babysitter to go on vacation, fully paid by me. She agreed to go even if nothing else was paid to her. If you really like this babysitting job, take nothing and the family will probably be willing to use you as a babysitter for a long time!
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 08:09 PM

I think $200 is extremely reasonable for an all inclusive vacation. The children are old enough to not need complete supervision and your waterpark and assuming food is included. I think $200 is generous.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 05:29 AM

A conservative guess would put the cost of a week in the Poconos at about $800 a person, plus $200 in pay... so you are making a grand for maybe 16 hours of babysitting.

If you don't want to do it, I will!
    ashey23ole Posts: 69, Reputation: 5

Mar 11, 2009, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the help guys~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Babysitting ad [ 3 Answers ]

Im trying to write an ad in the local newsparper about babysitting, but I don't know what to write. Please reaspond.

Looking to get a Babysitting Job [ 11 Answers ]

I am 12 years old and I am trying to get a job as a babysitter. Most parents I think would probably want someone to be a bit older than me to babysit. What can I do to show to parents that I am capable of taking care of their child?

Babysitting ad [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I just wondered how do you make a professional baby sitting ad?:)

Babysitting fee [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning! Not being a parent myself, I thought I might be able to get some good advice from this board. A co-worker that I am on friendly terms with has asked me to babysit her two children, a 6 month old and a 2 year old, overnight. I told her I would be happy to help out and she asked...

View more questions Search