Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmackell Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
    Fence-should I pay for the "good side" when she said she didn't care?
    The owner of the property next door and I had a verbal agreement (which is supported by emails back and forth) to split 50/50 the cost of a new fence on our property line (Riverside county CA). We were in total agreement and a lot of work on mine and my husbands part (he took down the old fence and hauled it away, I got all the quotes for the new fence and made several trips to Lowe's for the materials and we up fronted the money). The day the fence went up we asked her (in front of witnesses) how she wanted the fence to go up and she said that she did not care, it did not matter to her. So we put it up with us getting the flush side. A few days later she informed us to expect payment with a 10% deduction because we go the good side of the fence. Which we did, but we were willing to change it and gave her to option to change it (vinyl panels) to a "good neighbor" fence but she declined she just wanted the discount. I have proof on an email from her admitting she said she didn't care but now she considers that an upgrade. Do I have a case?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 05:10 PM

Then you tell her to add half the money it told for your expenses as well.
    You did the work, you have the emails and the witnesses so you could take it all the way to court if that is the way she wants to do it.
    Hope you saved all the receipts.

Feb 4, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Then you tell her to add half the money it told for your expenses as well.
    You did the work, you have the emails and the witnesses so you could take it all the way to court if that is the way she wants to do it.
    Hope you saved all the receipts.
    Yup, have all the receipts all the emails printed out, and affidavits from the witnesses. Even have a email from her boyfriend thanking us for all the hard work we did. We go to court on Feb 25th. That's a good idea, I will tell the Judge (if he thinks a discount should be given to her) then to put the claim toward our time and labor. Because there was no agreement to pay for our time and/or labor, but there was an agreement on which way the fence went... namely she didn't care. So obviously agreements mean nothing. At that point I have nothing to lose.
    Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nmackell View Post
    Do I have a case?
    Hello n:

You asked if you have a case. Then I see you already filed it and are waiting for court...

If it was ME, I wouldn't have sued her. What's 10% - $150?? $250??

For THAT amount, I would have eaten it. Good neighbor relations are worth FAR more than that.

excon

Feb 5, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello n:

You asked if you have a case. Then I see you already filed it and are waiting for court...

If it was ME, I wouldn't have sued her. What's 10% - $150???? $250???

For THAT amount, I would have eaten it. Good neighbor relations are worth FAR more than that.

excon
    Thank you for your response. I wanted other people's opinion because even though I think I have a case an objective opinion(s) can be helpful. Yes 10% is roughly $150.00 Keep in mind a couple of things. One, she is not my neighbor, she owns the house next door but doesn't live there. Two, (which I didn't bring up before) she has a reputation for ripping people off ie: she fired her gardner, paid him his last check and then cancelled it. She owns four other homes and her boyfriend is an appraiser, so they weren't ignorant in what they doing. The lawsuit actually was about $2,000 higher to begin with. After years of trying to get her share the financial burden of replacing the fence she finally had to because her tenants dogs broke through the fence and mauled our minpin. Her insurance company refused to pay the claim (vet bill) at first but after much correspondence I was able to refute their reason for denial successfully and they paid. If it started as only the fence I would have eaten too but not because of the good neighbor thing because, as I said she is not my neighbor and she is not a nice person but rather, because it is just too much of a hassle. But now we are in it and I would like to take it to the end to at least have the chance to help her find out that there are repurcussions to her actions. I should also mention that the reason the fence was in such poor condition is that while we both have concrete on either side of the fence, she has no drains which forces water (when it rains and such) into the pathway of the fence which rotted the posts and the bottom of the fence... we went vinyl due to this.
    Thank you for responding:D
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Hello again, n:

Well, that cleared things up nicely. Since SHE already fractured the relationship, sue the crap out of her.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 03:18 PM

In my area the "good" side MUST face the neighbor. The "bad" side must face "in." If it is installed in any other fashion, even if the neighbors agree, the person who paid for the fence or arranged for the fence gets the bad side.

Obviously not in your area - ?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 04:06 PM

Yeah I was going to say the good side HAS to face the neighbor but since they went in together on this I figured it really probably didn't apply here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do men say "I can't say I love you" or "I can't show you I do care"? [ 7 Answers ]

I am seeing a guy who is 39 and I am 30. He has been in and out of many relationships- even married but didn't love her and divorced. We have been together for 7 months and I do care greatly about him and even almost slipped out "i love you', when I asked him how he would have felt if I said it, he...

Side effects on heart patients on consumption of "antibooze" [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any side effects on heart patients on consumption of "antibooze"?

Forget Hillary care, what about School-Based "Health Care?" [ 37 Answers ]

Middle school in Maine to offer birth control pills, patches to pupils When I was in school about the only good school "health care" was for was a bandaid, an excuse to skip a class or a pan to puke in. What on earth (or in the constitution) gives public schools the right to prescribe drugs...

What kind of shrub for a "privacy fence"? [ 6 Answers ]

Are they arborvitea? Box shrubs? I want to grow a dense shrub wall, just about 2-3 ft high, between my lot and my neighbor's. Maybe 12 ft long, 2 ft wide. How long will it take to do this? Can I buy some and plant them close together, or do they need to just take the natural course? I'm...

View more questions Search