Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r berg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Switch no longer works
    We had two light switches that were in two separate rooms but controlled the kitchen overhead lights. About two years ago, I disconnected one of the switches. Last night, the switch that was left operational, stopped working for no apparent reason. I tested it and it no longer has power. The breaker did not go off either. I am stumped. Can anyone shed light on why this switch suddenly has no power?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 09:03 PM
    What did you use to check if the switch had power? I am sure youdid this but I am going to ask it anyway... Did you check the bulb to see if it was any good?
    The system you have forr switching one light from to different switches is called "A Three way system" normally the power travels through both switches to make the light work, if it just when you flip a switch you only re-route the path the current takes to turn the light on of off which ever the case might be. By using only one switch it is possible that the current is still flowing through the box where the other switch is disconnected.
    Turn off the electricity and take the wires off the switch that just stopped working and tie the two wires together together and then turn the power back on and see if you have power to the light. I am assuming that you have three wires going to that switch (not including the ground wire) so if you do have three then there are three different ways to tie two wires together... wire 1 to wire 2... wire 1 to wire 3... wire 2 to wire three.
    Try all three combinations until you find two that will give you power to the light, if none of them do then you probably have a problen is the wiring system somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Is there anything I can do to last longer? [ 7 Answers ]

I need some help but I don't know if anyone can help on on this. Mabye just a tip or something. My girlfriend and I have been dating for a while and we have just started to have sex. And ever time I start to get her going I cum. Is there anything I can do to last longer and make the sex amazing...

Landlord is no longer living [ 4 Answers ]

I just found out that my landlord died, he is married and no decition has been made if his wife is going to take over the property. I have a leaking roof that really needs to be fixed ASAP. I live in a section 8 rented home, and they are going to have to wait until his wife calls to find out if...

Should I pay for a ticket that I no longer own? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of NY and I recently received 4 parking totaling to the amount of $625. The ticket was a computerized stub that just had the following information: violation (Here are the following violations on the ticket: 1. Improper plates 2. unregistered vehicle 3. no front plate 4. no...

Need longer pole for fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just got my fan and realized that because I have a slanted ceiling I need to extend the polr from the ceiling. Are there poles available? I need at least 20" from the ceiling. Will this affect how the fan works?

View more questions Search