Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmellys Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Popping in right ear
    My daughter has had a continuous ;oud popping noise in her ear for about a week now. The dr said she has a sticky ear. There is a small amount of fluid behind the ear but no infection. How do I stop the popping. It seems to get worse in the evenings. The school has sent her home because she is in pain. Any ideas. Thanks Mmellys
    eskimopups Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2009, 08:12 PM

Try sleeping on a warm pad, on the side of the infected ear. Try what's called valsalva's maneuver... plug your nose, close your mouth and blow. Try drinking warm lemon juice. If your daughter is 12 or over, you could try a cough drop.

Feb 12, 2009, 12:59 AM

Thanks. Have tried all above with no luck. Popping now seems to be coming from deeper down in her ear. Thanks for your help
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Please do NOT try the valsalva maneuver... it can cause bradycardia (low heart rate) and can be VERY dangerous unless done in a medical environment.

You can try to alternate benadryl and sudafed to dry it up. I recently had the same problem and, while at work at the hospital, had a shot called a sinus cocktail. Cleared it right up! Oh, yeah, the sinus cocktail is a combination of 2 steroids and BENADRYL!!

Feb 12, 2009, 11:34 AM

Thanks. I haven't tried the vasalver because my daughter is asthma. The pharmacey has just given us some suppositries to use that are supposed to clear as the tubes in her nose, ears and throat. They also think it may be conjestion build up. The medication is supposed to be slow acting so it doesn't trigger her asthma. Will keep you posted. This is the 3rd week she has suffered. Thanks again
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 03:38 PM

Hi there... this sounds very much like catarrh/muscus biuld up, which will cause the ears to pop.

Sadley this can linger on for weeks, especially if your just getting over the Flu or something similar.

The whole family here is on their 3rd lot of anti-biotics.

Have you tried the steam in a bowl, maybe with a bit of eucalyptus.

Get her to lean over the bowl with a towel over the head she can then inhale the steam which will be very soothing for the nasal passages, try and breath in the mist for as long as possible... being very careful not to tip over the hot bowl.

Sudafed decongestion tablets are very good as well... be sure and buy the correct ones as there are various combinations... you want the small round red ones.

Feb 16, 2009, 08:09 AM

Thank-you for your help. We live in france so not sure if I can get sudafed over here. I will go to the pharmacy and ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Popping pimples [ 1 Answers ]

With pimples, I heard that you are not suppose to pop them. And I also heard that if you leave it alone, it could scar. So what do you do if you have a pimple?

Popping noise [ 2 Answers ]

My outsde unit making poping noise tripping inside breaker I have central heat and air a carrier unit electrian by trade could it be low on freon - split from faq thread -

$300 popping out of no where [ 18 Answers ]

This past weekend, I had 800 and some odd dollars in my account, I bought a box and subs for my car for $900 and I use cash so I didn't over draw, well today I was with my dad and we were up at the mall and I wanted to see how much I had, I asssumed I had around $35, when I checked my blance it...

Popping Bug [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I need help big time. I have been looking for the answer to this question forever and still can't seem to find anyone who knows of it. Ok I found this bug on the floor in my room and when it gets flipped onto its back it atomatically pops into the air and right back up onto its feet and just...

View more questions Search