Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mreyes1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Unmarried father with no job/and wants child visitation
    Sons mother and I could not live together because she has lots of issues and differences but because I am not working and don't give her child support she doesn't not only not let me see my son but my family either. What could I possibly do or is there a law for rights to visitations of your child even if you are not working?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2009, 03:08 PM

Visitation rights are ordered by a court. They have nothing to do with support payments. Its certainly possible for someone not paying support to have visitation and vice versa.

If you are suspposed to be paying support and are not working, you need to file for a modification of the support order. But the custodial parent has no right to refuse court ordered visitation because of non-payment.

If that happens, you go back to court to enforce the visitation order.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 03:11 PM

I agree with everything Scott said. Furthermore if you are collecting any form of unemployment compensation you can still be liable for support.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 03:16 PM

You should have a court ordered child cusody agreement, and it should state what visits you get.
    And there should be a court ordered child support.

If you are not working, you file to have it motified for your current non income, thus you would owe a lot less.

Support paymets and visits are not connected no matter how much people try to make them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried father [ 2 Answers ]

Does unmarried fathers get custody of there kid My ex is on my daughters birth certificate but every time I let him sxee her he causes trouble is their any way I stop him being near me and our daughter My daughtwr is 6 and don't want to be with her dad as he stays nasty things to her and...

My child father is requesting visitation [ 2 Answers ]

First of let me say that I live on a reservation... my sons father is enrolled on the same reservation but lives off the reaservation... my son was born off the reservation and I choose not to enroll my son on our reservation for childsupport reasons... anyway, my sons fahter who is going to try to...

Unmarried, what visitation is father allowed? [ 3 Answers ]

I am an unmarried woman with a 2 month old baby. The father & I are not together. He sees the baby a couple times a week, when I am with the child. He does not have items to care for a baby at his house. I have not filed for child support, he told me that he would pay the amount each month without...

Dead beat father & child custody and visitation in TX [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is Kay and my child is 10 months old. His father has only seen him a handful of times and is currently in jail. He is not on my child's birth certificate. His father has a history of drug abuse and violance tendencies but nothing I can prove cause he has never been caught doing any of...

Unmarried Father [ 4 Answers ]

My nephew and his ex-girlfriend have a 1 1/2 year old child. The child has his last name and his name is on the birth certificate. He was there for the birth but they have not been together as a couple since she was pregnant. He has been paying her weekly support, WITHOUT A COURT ORDER. They have...

View more questions Search