Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Origin of "Relay Rack"
    Most networking cabinets and enclosures on the market today are termed "relay racks" in marketing literature. I received an email advertisement from a vendor for one today and began wondering why they are named as such. I've never seen any sort of relay installed in one. Wikipedia has this picture of telco relays in their article on relays. Is this the origin of the term?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Feb 4, 2009, 12:38 PM

If memory serves... its because they are used to "relay" a signal.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 4, 2009, 09:24 PM

I'm going to guess it's because they were originally created to house telephone relays in the telephone company's switching rooms. They had hundreds of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

"Canal de Yonne" original etching by F. Are. Roth [ 2 Answers ]

I have an original etching by F. R. Roth named "Canal de Yonne". This picture has been in my family for over 70 years. I would appreciate any info on this picture or its creator.

Original artist "How do I Live" [ 2 Answers ]

Who origanially sang "How do I Live" before Leann R? :o

View more questions Search