Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Ebay / IRS
    Does anyone out there know if Ebay reports sales records to the IRS?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 03:17 PM
    They never have for me, but I've only sold 60-70 things... none high dollar. I suppose, though, that a Power Seller might be a target of their "tax hunters", so keep that in mind.

Have you searched their site real well for info on this?

Aug 9, 2006, 03:56 PM
    That's more or less what I thought. Even though I use it for small items regularly, we are not talking thousands of dollars. I would clearly expect that issue would change if someone was selling regularly and bringing in major bucks. Thank you for taking the time.

Aug 9, 2006, 03:59 PM
    I just noticed your last line which mentions this "site real well" for info. I have no idea what this is. Can you direct me?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Meaning searching eBay for what they say about taxes.

I'm with you: I can guess that they are not responsible to report every sale of a member to the IRS, but at the same time would not be surprised to learn that they are required to report the sales of members with over $X.XX of sales. I just don't know.

I did a little checking, and the most info I found was:

Quote Originally Posted by ebay
    As a condition of using the eBay Web site, sellers agree to comply with all applicable domestic and international laws, statutes, ordinances and regulations regarding:

* the use of eBay’s service.
    * their own listings.
    * their solicitation of offers to purchase.
    * the sale of their items.

Sellers are also responsible for paying all fees associated with using eBay’s service and Web site, and all applicable taxes associated with the use of eBay’s service and Web site.
    I don't think it's possible for the IRS to enforce collection of income tax for every single item sold, but despite that there is nothing on the site saying what they report to the IRS, if I was a Power Seller, I would be concerned of the consequences - and potential info reported to the IRS without my knowledge - if I was not reporting my income.

If eBay IS reporting sales info to the IRS, they may or may not have to tell the public of this requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ebay trouble [ 3 Answers ]

Im having a prob on eBay. I bought an item from some scum bag in Canada, I paid for it. Well, the payment went to his ex-girlfriend because of an error he made, she declined to accept it. The seller then tells me that I have to re-send the money to him, of course this is a big sum of money, and...

Ebay [ 5 Answers ]

I buy a lot of little things I find on Ebay and it got me wondering. Don't these sellers have to pay taxes on these sales? While I buy just a few items, I noticed that at times they are from the same seller, and they have hundreds of item listed. Thank you.

Does anyone sell on eBay who I could pay to list for me? [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to sell a face cream on eBay. I'd pay for the paypal fee and eBay fees, plus give you a small commission for just listing it for me. If interested, please send me a private message. Thank you!

EBay [ 10 Answers ]

Let's say I just won my first bid on eBay. What is proper etiquette, normally? Should I pay immediately, or should I wait a few days until I get the product and then pay?

Ebay... Definition. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I need a clear, simple, generic definition of Ebay in a paragraph or so.. thanks. [email protected] THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help I can't find one anywhere... undefinedundefinedundefined

View more questions Search