Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angela09 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 11:07 PM
    Ingrown toenail
    Not for the squeamish but I really need help!

A few months ago my toenail was completely ripped off and is finally growing back. One corner of it began to grow into my skin. I don't have health insurance, so I attempted to cut that section off and pull the nail that's grown in out. However, I've been trying for an hour now and the nail will not come out! Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get it besides pulling with tweezers?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 11:14 PM

First of all... stop. This can result in an infection and this can end up being... QUITE... bad.

First, if the toenail isn't in TOO deep, I suggest soaking your foot for about 10 minutes in a solution with 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water or just epsom salts.

Then, elevate the foot to avoid swelling.

I suggest you gently roll back the skin (GENTLY!), and use floss to gently lift the nail (if possible) and trim the toenails if possible.

If the ingrown toenail is in too deep, I suggest you leave it to the professionals. Messing with it can result in a HORRIBLE infection.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 3, 2009, 04:19 PM
    I have had this problem too. I got the side of my left big toenail removed over 15 years ago and the right one hurts when I'm on my feet a lot. A simple solution that works for me is to soak your toe in warm water for a few minutes, then roll a small piece of kleenex or toilet paper into a small ball and put it carefully under the nail between the nail and skin with a needle in the spot where it digs in. This will keep you going all day with no pain. Just remember to change the paper every day.
    Idrees Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Jun 7, 2009, 03:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angela09 View Post
    Not for the squeamish but I really need help!

A few months ago my toenail was completely ripped off and is finally growing back. One corner of it began to grow into my skin. I don't have health insurance, so I attempted to cut that section off and pull the nail that's grown in out. However, I've been trying for an hour now and the nail will not come out! Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get it besides pulling with tweezers?
    I also have nail ingrown problem. My doctor (not exactly doctor he has done a course of foot care) cut the inner part and said that the pain is caused when fungus is build inside. So he cut the inner part with bone cutter and put medicine to get rid of fungus. He also gave me a liquid medicine to put on the nail every night and another on every morning, so to get rid of fungus. He asked me not to cut by myself and let him to it and in few months it'll change its direction which I am not sure whether he is right or not.

One doctor suggested me to have surgery in which one third of my nail will be cut and when it'll grow back it won't be ingrown. But I haven't tried that yet.

Some homeopathic doctors say that their medicines straightens the ingrown nail, which I am not sure whether it is really as what they say so.

So if you don't want surgery or go for homeopathic then use antifungal liquid in the ingrown part some days in a month and try not to wet this part and if you do so then dry it quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ingrown hair [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I am really hurting bad. I can't sit or walk. I have I think might be an ingrown hair in the crack of my butt. I am 17 years old and don't know what to do.I got some black cream from the drug store and sat in hot water with Epsom salt in the tub. I went to bed last night with a heating pad on...

Penial Infection/Toenail fungus [ 7 Answers ]

The morning after I had sex with my long term girl friend, I noticed the rim around my penis was a little red. Half a day later the left side developed a scab like protrusion. A day later the scab grew larger and then I noticed a hair (perhaps pubic) sticking out from the scab. I grabbed the hair...

What do you do when your toenail pops off? [ 3 Answers ]

Last week my dad tripped over something and broke his toenail, and a few hours later it suddenly popped off. (Not all the way though, it was still connected at the bottom). So he kind of pushed it back down and my mom covered his toe in band-aids. Will the toenail stick back to the toe on it's...

Ingrown hairs [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way for a man to avoid getting ingrown hairs on his face?

Toenail fungus [ 3 Answers ]

I have toenail fungus in both my big toes and the treatment the Dr. gave me doesn't seem to be working. I read that vinegar is good to use applying with a Qtip putting it under the nail and on the nail surface. I have been doing this for over a month and see no progress. Does anyone have a success...

View more questions Search