Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragosani Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 05:59 PM
    motion in two dimensions
    I just need to know if I've done this right. If not, please explain where I've gone wrong. Thank you.

A bomber flying in level flight at 200m/s drops a 500kg bomb from an altitude of 3000m.
    A.)Find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity just before it strikes.
    B.) How far has it traveled horizontally after release when it strikes.
    This is what I have:
    Y= 3000m
    V=200m/s
    m=5ookg
    a= 9.8m/s^2

Vx is constant so it would be 200m/s
    Vy is zero and just accelerating.

So, using : Y=Yo+ Vot+ .5at^2
    3000m= o+0+ .5(9.8)t^2
    3000m/4.9m/s^2 = t^2
    24.7s=t

Using this time and X=vt I get
    X=200m/s(24.7s)
    x=4940m

But this just doesn't seem right.
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Feb 3, 2009, 09:43 PM

You answer is probably correct! Are you confusing the distances travelled in X and Y? Remember though that you have to take into consideration the directions of the initial velocity and the force of gravity, meaning that those things are vectors with both magnitude and direction. Besides, always draw a picture and introduce a convenient frame of reference. There are many ways to select the frame of reference, but once selected all forces have to be checked against that reference frame, in terms of direction. In your particular case, you have selected the ground is Y=0, and initial initial height is Yo=3000, that is the positive direction for the Y axis of your frame of reference is upwards, perpendicular to the ground. This observaton makes the force of gravity, which is always directed to the ground, negative. This means that the acceleration of the bomb along the Y axis is not "a", but "-a" (because the direction is opposite to the positive direction of the Y axis. Your equation should be "Y=Yo+ Vot - .5at^2".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics motion in two dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

A bomber flying in level flight at 200 m/s drops a 500kg bomb from an altitude of 3000m. a. find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity and B.how far has it travelled horizontally after release when it strikes. I know you're given : V: 200m/s y: 3000m a: -9.8m/s^2 I've...

Florida Law Of Civil Procedure ~ Motion To Produce - Motion For Trial [ 8 Answers ]

This lawsuit is regarding a cosigned loan originated in 1999 which we believe to have been satisfied in full. We also believe it's outside the SOL and many other things, but that's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is current actions. On January 29, 2008 we filed two motions: 1....

Florida Law Of Civil Procedure ~ Motion To Produce - Motion For Trial [ 6 Answers ]

Our daughter is being sued by a collection agency for a debt she does not think she owes. We had a pretrial hearing this week whereby the plaintiffs attorney was present via telephonic hearing. That is to say, we were in chambers with the Judge, while the plaintiff attorney was on "speaker...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search