Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julieishere Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 01:10 PM
    Why must so many people smoke maryjane
    I just don't get it. It is such a phneolmon to me why so many people feel the need to get stoned and spend there hard earned money on the crap opposed to putting there money forth towards something more productive. I just can't help but to feel that there is more important things to do other than smoke up while sitting on the sofa eathing junkfood and watching cartoons. Unmovaited and not doing nothing with your life other than being a prasite to the economy. Tell me what you think
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Hello julie:

I don't know why people want to drink alcohol either. It really makes you stupid...

But, people do what people do.

excon
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:24 PM

There are people who took up on occasion,just as a social drinker might have a few drinks and then there are pot heads and I think that is what you described.

Clearly pot heads are wasting their time and money,not sure about being a parasite on the economy,that seems like a stretch but I suspect they are being escapists.Not wanting to live in the real world for whatever reason.I suspect the reasons are as varied as the pot heads themselves.

Then there are people who smoke everyday and maintain jobs and contribute to the community so I think it is wise to never paint with such a broad brush.

Not every pot head is an unmotivated cartoon watching munchie eating parasite.

It depends on the person and just as some people can have a few drinks everyday without becoming a drunkard,some people can smoke without being a pothead.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:25 PM

It must be a human thing, I think through all time, people have been smoking, eating, pills, or something.
    The first people started by eating plants that contained a drug by accident.
    I kind of wonder who licked the first frog to get stoned.
    I tried it, nothing happened, but I think the Frog had a smile on her face.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:27 PM

I wake up at 5:00am to go the gym run on the treadmill for an hour and lift. Then go to work for 9 hours comes home clean, do laundry or cook diner or sometimes I'll play with my cats. And I smoke everyday. For me it just something I use to relax. I have a great job (I actually just got promoted) and went to a VERY respected College. I would like to know what makes you think everyone just sits there eating junk food watching cartoons and are a parasite?
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:29 PM

Here is someone who doesn' fit your profile:
    Won more Gold medals than Anyone in History? Go figure. If he didn't smoke, maybe he would have won more Medals? Who Knows:
    Michael Phelps acknowledges pot pipe photo and apologizes - Los Angeles Times
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Artlady, I don't lick Male frogs, plus, it made me smile. Take Care
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2009, 07:22 AM

If you've never been stoned then it would seem like a crazy thing to do because that's how our media/society portrays it.

As artlady and spitvenom have said not everyone who smokes is a mindlessly-laughing-couch-potato-jobless-life suck on society.

It's the person not the activity.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2009, 07:32 AM

Hello again:

Uhhh, I forgot what we were talking about...

excon
    curtisst Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

Mar 12, 2009, 03:34 PM

This might not be politically correct to say, but I would rather people smoked pot than drank. After watching my 30 year old son go alcoholic I would rather he took up something like pot if he has to do anything at all. Some of my friends smoke pot and they are incredibly creative as a result, others just get burned out. It's mostly social thing I suppose but neither pot nor drinking appeal to me.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Mar 12, 2009, 03:44 PM

I don't tent to think about it but honestly ima hypocrite. I don't smoke because I'm just not interested its not good for and a waste of money. But on the other hand I drink not a lot mind you but it's a waste of money and it hurts your body and mind? I don't find drinking so bad but I try not to do it a lot either. So why do people drink either? Lol
    I also know quite a lot of people who smoke pot it doesn't bother me I just don't hang out with them when they are stoned and I don't let them do it around me. But a lot of pot heads don't see it as a drug it's a plant a herb, its not though its not good for you body and non of them believe it's a gate way drug but it hink it is I don't do pot I don't do other drugs all the people I know who smoke pot have all either tried hard drugs or use them regularly. Pot is just as bad as asid or crack its bad for you simple!!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 04:25 PM

Someone who does not have addictive genes is free to make all the generalizations they like, they, however, will never, ever have a clue what it feels like to be physically addicted to a substance. Some non-addictive people staunchly assert that addiction is not a disease. Go ahead. You will never, ever have a clue what it feels like to be physically addicted to a substance.

There are some people who demonstrate a very high level of functioning, yet are still addicted to, whatever. They don't present a societal sickness. In fact, I believe there should be an IQ/function test for them. If they score well while doing their drug of choice, maybe it should be legal for them.

When I was a teenager partying my butt off, some of my friends demonstrated this high level of function. Some had to sit and stare, at cartoons or whatever. I had to sit and stare. It is bad for many to do drugs. For a few, it's a very positive thing!

How to differentiate between the types of addictive brains is an underrepresented area of study. Perhaps we should quit generalizing our opinions and get flexible? Openminded? Ha ha ha ha... And monkeys will fly out of my butt.
    Tandah Posts: 67, Reputation: 5

Mar 12, 2009, 06:01 PM

A few of my family member smoke but they don't act and do it for the reason you say.
    One was in a REALLY bad car accident and she smoke because it helps with the pain... She probably wouldn't be able to even get out of bed without smoking it, she has tried many medications, most make her feel sick, disoriented, or some she is afraid to become addicted to. There are many different kinds of pot, or whatever you call it... each kind has a different effect; some make you feel lethargic, others make you happy, giddy or even sad.

Some of the great musicians, painters and atheletes smoke, or have smoked. Some of the most influential authors as well; Aldous Huxley, Jimmy Hendrix, etc. These people were certainly not couch potatoes and their influence on their fields of work is still felt today.

Smokers are very nice people, get to know some, you'd be surprised how creative, enlightened and even talktative they are.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I wake up at 5:00am to go the gym run on the treadmill for an hour and lift. Then go to work for 9 hours comes home clean, do laundry or cook diner or sometimes I'll play with my cats. And I smoke everyday. For me it just something I use to relax. I have a great job (i actually just got promoted) and went to a VERY respected College. I would like to know what makes you think everyone just sits there eating junk food watching cartoons and are a parasite?
    Excellent point! Many people do it for recreation after a long day. OP, you'd be surprised at home many "corporate" and "professionals" go home and blaze a doobie after a long day. You just wouldn't imagine it when you see them at work from 9-5.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Personally, I am a supporter of the legalization of marijuana. No, I'm not a smoker, nor have I ever smoked, nor do I have the desire to ever smoke pot. Why? It's illegal and I can lose my entire career just because it's illegal.

I don't understand why anyone would NOT want to have it legalized. It's arguably the largest cash crop on the planet. Legalize it and sell it like nothing has ever been sold before! Make the cultivators be licensed to grow it for commercial sale. Tax the crap out of it like they are doing tobacco. All the control measures needed for it's legalization already exist in alcohol and tobacco legislation. Set the legal consumption age to 21, just like alcohol. You want to make something about it illegal? Make consumption in the presence of a minor illegal, or hike up the penalties for crimes committed while under the influence.

Think about it, look at all the hate crime, murders, abuse... don't you think these people need to just calm down? What better way than to get stoned? Seen the side effects to prescription drugs lately? That stuff will kill you and it's FDA approved! What's the side effects to pot? The MUNCHIES? REALLY? OMG, the world's going to end because the cookie isle is empty at the 7-11! I know where I'll be investing my money; Keebler, Nestle, Frito Lay, etc. C'mon people!

Granted, I'm very animated about the subject, and obviously carried away in the moment, but seriously, what's the big deal, someone help me out here? What makes pot such a bad thing that should be illegal? Obviously I'm missing something, or I'd be preaching "pot is bad, mmmkay".
    hc2000si Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 10:54 PM

Its OK for people to pay thousands of dollars for vacations, well my vacations are cheaper and everyday lol...
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Mar 17, 2009, 11:18 AM

It's definitely a huge cash crop. I saw a documentary that more marijuana than corn was harvested in California and here in Michigan it's the #3 crop after corn and soybeans.

With that much harvesting going around we should certainly be able to erase some of this country's stupid debt and open jobs up for the people who are unemployed. I'm not just talking about the weed either what about the stalks of the plants? You can make all kinds of stuff, paper, clothes, oil... Stop cutting down all the trees that take 20+ years to regrow and plant something that produces 1-3 crops a year (depending on where you live not to mention growing indoors) in less space with less of an impact on the environment.
    alabamaman Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2009, 11:45 PM

People spend money on it because its something they enjoy
    Just like you'd spend money on a coffee
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Albamaman you hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't spend 2000 a year on coffee but there are people out there who are quite happy to.
    Seeing as how no-one knows where I live I can admit I am a social smoker... I probably imbibe about half a dozen times a year.
    I don't understand doing it everyday because it does impair your judgment but I definitely don't have a problem with people smoking it.
    It effects you the same way as alcohol does and there isn't a ban on that. It is not addictive. There are no bad side effects other than that of smoking tobacco which also isn't banned. (yes, it has been proven, don't jump down my throat)
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 05:51 PM

My best friend is married to a cop and believe or not he smokes weed almost everyday before he leaves work. How he passes his drug testing I will never know.

Then my best friend smokes everyday so she can have an appetite otherwise she doesn't have the desire to eat. Also, she told me she smoked while she was pregnant with her son, who is now 5 or 6, and I don't know what was in the weed but he is smart as hell. I not telling anyone to smoke let alone smoke well their pregnant, but nothing is wrong with him thus far.

As far as me goes, I must admit that I smoked a joint/blunt in my teens years and once tried it again on my 21st birthday. After that I never smoked it again because I don't have the desire too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Toyota Duet Smoke excessive smoke emission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have problem with too much emission of smoke. Even more excessive smoke in the morning. Can't even see anyone around the vehicle!! Took it to toyota for diagnostics they discovered valve seal leaked and oil dropping on top of number 1 piston. Have changed the valve seals but still same...

Second hand smoke [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to get second hand smoke from a smoker or marijuana smoker by KISSING them Scenario: you kiss someone who has just smoked, you can taste it and the smoke is still being breathed from that person's lungs Scenario 2: several days after a person has smoked they still breath out...

Smoke Detectors: Something is not right [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 detectors in the house: 1 in the basement, 1 in the MBR on the first floor, and 3 upstairs in the bedroom. The detector in the basemet has a Green LED on. I am assuming it is the first detector in that circuit coming from the breaker box. Inside the basement detector are 4 other...

Smoke/Fog machine [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, We are making a small play in my community and I would like to add some visual effects to it. I thoughtabout adding some smoke (like TV shows, etc). Anyone to give me some idea how to build a DIY smoke machine? Thanks

View more questions Search