Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grshekar009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Wife on L1 last year, now on H4. Should I file under "Married filing Jointly"
    Hi
    My wife was working in US in 2007 under L1 visa & we filed our taxes in 2007 under the category "Married filing Jointly". She left her job & is now under H4 visa all through 2008. Can we file again this year under the same category even though she is no longer having an income? She has a SSN.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Once you file jointly, you can continue to file jointly as long as you remain in the U.S. even if yous visa status changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Am I NR and can I file married filing jointly ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an India, came to US on L1 in October. My wife came on L2 and she has just applied for SSN. My wife doesn't work. My questions are : - For tax return purpose am I Resident or Non Resident ? - Can I file as Married filing jointly ? - which form should I fill to file US tax return....

Married Filing Jointly (ITIN and E-file) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Its my understanding that you cannot e-file if you are filing Jointly for which you do not have your wife's ITIN. However, if I go to a TAC center, and get the ITIN for my wife, can I then e-file my taxes. Thanks, dbacks3449

How to file "Married filing jointly" when one is on H1B and spouce on F-1? [ 5 Answers ]

Thank you very much for your feedback for the question on social security and medicare taxes not withheld. I have another tax related question I was hoping you could answer too. As I mentioned in the previous question, I am on H1-B (resident for tax purposes), while my wife is on F-1 visa as a...

View more questions Search