Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Feb 3, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Is putting extra insulation over pipes/cables safe?
    I am putting extra insulation in my loft, the current insulation comes up the the top level of the joists. I have enough fiberglass insulation batts to give an extra 10" layer for the entire loft. Will it be a problem ( building regs/fire /damp ) if I cover cables/forced air heat runs/water pipes?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 07:48 PM

Not knowing where you live I'd say just call your building inspector and ask that question. Codes and regs vary from plkace to place so checking with the "enforcer" is the safest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extra Extra Dry Skin [ 8 Answers ]

I have extra extra dry skin. I am constantly shedding. What can I do about this. I have tried all kinds of lotions

Is it safe to wrap (i.e. Insulate) baseboard heat pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to wrap the heat and hot water pipes in my basement/garage. A fair portion of the plumbing for our baseboard heat, not to mention all the hot water in the house, runs through the unheated half of our basement and garage (which doesn't even get the benefit of the radiant heat from the...

Dishwasher electric cables touching water pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - A friend recently helped me install a new dishwasher by running an electric connection from a nearby outlet. For the extension, he took the power source from the outlet then connected to a metal box which he then ran a connection to the dishwasher. I noticed that the metal box is right next...

Putting plywood over attic insulation. [ 2 Answers ]

We have an attached garage that is not heated. In the attic I am planning to put some cellulose insulation over the fiberglass stuff. Once this is done I would like to put some plywood down so we can store stuff up there. Should I leave small spaces between the plywood to keep condensation from...

Cables in wall and house insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe the code forbids running cables so that they Are in contract with each other. If you pass through A beam, I believe they allow 24 inches of contact. How many cables can go through each hole and How big must a hole be? What is the allowable method of running several Cables...

View more questions Search