Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Feb 3, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Chatter while watching birds
    Why do domestic cats "chatter" while watching birds?

The chatter is a fast movement of the jaw, with what appears to be an "ah ah ah ah" sound, while visually locked onto a bird. I have verified that our cat does this not only while inside the house looking out a window, but also does it if let out the door. She chatters while in "stalk mode", too. It's hilarious! We get waaaay too much entertainment from our kitty!

With a Google search, I have found several suggestions ranging from "frustration", "sonar", echo/vocal location, to supposedly "calling" the prey item or trying to replicate the sound of a prey item.

Has anyone come across a good answer for this?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Feb 3, 2009, 07:14 PM

The article I saw said it was the cat "practicing" in anticipation of the killing bite.

Sonar/echo location as a suggestions is pretty far off the wall. And I doubt any animal is going to come when a cat calls... short of another cat. Or a dog looking to whup up on the cat.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 02:46 PM

Both of my cats do that while they are bird watching. It is to funny. They get locked on and the chatter starts.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 02:56 PM

Maybe it's the cat version of "Get in my belly!"
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 01:11 PM
    My kitten does this all the time while he watches the birds, I think he's excited to see them and desperately wants to get out to catch them.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 13, 2009, 03:01 PM

My cat does then when he sees just about anything from bugs, lizards, and birds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water faucet chatter [ 3 Answers ]

The hot water faucet chatters after a few seconds of flow

Birds, birds, birds [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbor leaves food out for the birds. She has decided over the last few months, that she doesn't want to continue. The problem I'm having is that she has been doing this for so long, that now that she has stopped, the birds are in my yard feasting on my dogs food. I leave the dogs outside...

Birds [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right category but here goes. I had a bird in my basement yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas hw it might have gotten in there? I was wondering if birds will crawl through holes and how big of a hole? Thanks

Birds [ 8 Answers ]

What do birds never do on the ground?

View more questions Search