Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spokes1952 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 05:11 AM
    Changing rear Strut 93 Tempo
    The rear strut is bad on my 93 Tempo. Instruction on getting it out and replacing? Do I compress the spring before or after removing the old strut? Thanks for any help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 08:21 AM
    I'm not familiar with your specific vehicle and strut removal and installation can vary. Make sure you have jackstands to support the rear of your car. The strut and spring assemblies, that I have seen, come off and go on as a unit. However, some rear assemblies can require you to attach a coil spring compressor tool to the spring and tighten it so the spring is slightly compressed. You will then remove the coil spring compressor from the spring, after the new assembly is installed.

On front strut assemblies, spring compressors are used to remove/replace the coil spring from the strut damper assembly, while you have it mounted in a vise. You compress the coil spring to remove it and then set the compressed coil aside, until it's placed over the new strut assembly. Make sure the spring compressor is a high quality one and keep your face clear. You may need a T-50 Torx socket to hold the damper shaft while loosening the shaft nut. I recommend you get a Haynes Manual for your specific vehicle and replace all four struts at the same time. It's safer that way, even though it's more expensive.

I don't know what Tempo model and engine you have, but here's approximately what your rear strut assembly, without the coil spring, bearing, and seat assembly, looks like and costs:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...ype=50&ptset=A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! The rear window of my car leaks [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to fix a leaky window seal? The back window in my car leaks almost every time it rains and forms a puddle on the floor.I was wondering if I could use something similar to silicone to fix it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rear discharge toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Need a rear discharge toilet that is floor mounted. An hour online produced nothing but wall mounts. Venting the line is not a problem and installation will be gravity flow to the septic tank thanks john

1985 Tempo-----Wheels [ 1 Answers ]

I drive and tow this car all over the country putting as much as 15000 miles a month(1/2 towing, 1/2 driving) . My original wheels are starting to warp a little now so I'm thinking of replacing them. The originals are steel wheels. My ? Is if I'm putting these kind of miles on this vehicle...

Rear draining toilet 2 [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet is a regular style toilet, not a wall mount. The only difference is that instead of the bowl connecting to the flange on the bottom, the hook up is through a 3" framed pipe out the back of the toilet about 8-10" off the floor. It has a regular style tank above the toilet. Not...

Rear draining toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for info!! I found a rear draining toilet and was wondering of it's beneficial applications for the basement. I have a sewage basin set up already, but no rough in for the toilet. Is it possible to use this type of toilet to bypass dropping a new line in the concrete? I'm only a...

View more questions Search