Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oconnorsdxb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 05:35 AM
    Mortgage interest deduction on primary foreign residence
    Hi,

We are US expats in Dubai. We are Bona Fide Residents of Dubai, UAE and file a US 1040 (and utlize the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion).

This is a two part question.

One - can we deduct the Mortgage Interest on the home? Can't find anything in IRS Publications that states 'where' the Primary Residence has to be located. So I believe I can. If I can, what form will be required to submit with my tax return as the bank does not provide an interest statement like they do in the USA?

Two - as we just bought it in 2008 - what deductions for the 'closing' costs, bank fees, loan fees, agent commissions would be deductible? If any? And again, what documentation would be required to submit with return as we will not receive a "HUD Statement"? Cancelled checks with invoices?

Thanks so much
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 09:49 AM
    1) You CAN claim the mortgage on your foreign home, but the IRS may require that you "withhold" 30% of the payment and send it to them. I doubt that your foreign bank would approve of that.

2) The only items deductible are property taxes and anything that represents pre-paid interest, like discount points.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primary Residence in Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

If your primary residence is outside the United States (Sweden), and you pay U.S. income taxes, is the interest on the mortgage deductible? Seaman in internaltion waters.

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Payment to Foreign Lender [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I have a query, I have gone through previous posts but somehow felt I have not got all the answers I wanted. Need your help here: 1) I have a mortgage in India from an Indian Bank who doesn't have a branch in the US 2) I work in the US and remit the monthly payments...

Mortgage interest deduction on foreign held mortgages for second homes [ 10 Answers ]

I am a little confused regarding second home mortgage interest on foreign held mortgages. Is the mortgage interest paid on a foreign held mortgage considered a second home with no rental income deductible on US taxes?

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

View more questions Search