ebbe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Arc length on a helix
    Please give the formula for calculating the arc length on a helix
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Represent the helix by

'a' is the radius and c is the length in one turn divided by 2Pi.

The formula is

EXAMPLE:

Suppose we have a string wrapped around a cylinder of radius 12 inches. The length that will make one complete turn in, say, 20 inches is given by:

Scourge Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    Represent the helix by

'a' is the radius and c is the length in one turn divided by 2Pi.

The formula is

EXAMPLE:

Suppose we have a string wrapped around a cylinder of radius 12 inches. The length that will make one complete turn in, say, 20 inches is given by:

Thank you for that equation galactus - I waded through pages of calculus treatments of this question before finding your elegant solution.

But you made an error in your calculation when you squared half of the radius, rather than the whole radius. The correct answer is:

Since the length of a circle with a radius of 12 inches is

the length of a helix of the same radius will go up from that number as the length of the helix increases.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:42 AM
    I made a mistake. That should have said 12 inch diameter, not radius.

What I have is correct. It is a typo with the word radius. Thanks for the catch after all this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze Fan, Helix II [ 13 Answers ]

I just bought a Harbor Breeze Fan Helix II.. There are no instructions with it, how ever I know how to hang ceiling fans. However, this particular model has me stumped over something stupid. It's hanging now and working, but the 4 Blue Lights are not mounting tightly. I have the Blue Glass...

Harbor Breeze Helix II celing fan [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a Harbor Breeze Helix II celing fan, all four bulbs have blown. I went back to Lowe's, where I purchased it and they don't sell replacement bulbs. Where can I get replacement bulbs I can't even find out what kind of bulbs I need Help!

Converting Slope arc Length to Flat Arc Length [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Given parameters are:- Slope arc length Angle on Slope

Tragus vs. Helix [ 4 Answers ]

K, so before, I asked a question about how badly a helix piercing hurt in comparison to lobes. Got it done. Easy. Now I want to know, how does a helix piercing hurt in comparison to a tragus piercing? Thanxsomuch.

Wiring Helix II Ceiling Fan w/Light Kit [ 1 Answers ]

Fan comes with 2 hot wires black for fan and blue for lights. House is wired with a double switch hot wires are red and black. We've tried several combinations but the switch always throws- do you have any suggestions on how we should connect these wires. We do have the common white wire and the...

View more questions Search