Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shawndria Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 12:45 AM
    Refinancing home
    Hi I was late on my mortgage payment and I explained to the guy that I was trying to refinance and would be paying him out of that money. But he sold my home out from under me, to some one that works at his company.CAN THAT HAPPEN??
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 9, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Most states have a time for you to REDEEM your home - you need an attorney ASAP who can review your loan documents and paperwork on the sale.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawndria
    Hi i was late on my morgage payment and I explained to the guy that I was trying to refinance and would be paying him out of that money. But he sold my home out from under me, to some one that works at his company.CAN THAT HAPPEN???
    No, it cannot happen with a typical mortgage. Only the owner of a property can sell it.

Is this a rent to own situation? If so, then look at your contract very carefully.
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Are you sure you own it? Is this one of those lease with option to buy?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2006, 10:20 AM
    You need to seek the advice of an attorney immediately. But some points of info might help you understand this. A mortgage is loan used to purchase real estate. The mortgagee owns the property with the mortgagor holding a lien on the property securing the debt.

If "the guy" can sell the home, then you don't have a mortgage. If you do have a mortgage he can't sell it from under you.

So take what documents you have to an attorney who can explain to you what rights you have or don't have.
    Shawndria Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Thank you for your advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Don't leave us hanging ;) Do you really have a mortgage or what?
    clover23 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Consider your mortgage like a title to a car: Can someone legally sell ANY thing you have documented ownership of? Are you the sole owner? What are your ownership rights if you are NOT the sole owner (mortgagor)? I cannot give legal advice, so I would encourage you to become intimately familiar with your (mortgage?) papers and consult an attorney! Contact this "guy's" management - is this a registered mortgage/ banking/ or lending institution?! I'm a 5-year mortgage professional, struggling to get clients to trust in me to complete a complex, important transaction, then I read of people who seem to do business with whomever sounds like they can do a mortgage! Not trying to be harsh, but who is this 'professional' and how did you come do conduct business with him? Were you referred by a trusted friend or relative who was familiar with this person's business practices? You must ALWAYS keep your wits about you - this is why I emphasized the word TRUST...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinancing mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

Hello OK I would like to refi my mortgage , I have 8% now for 30 yrs. Owe 37,000 and 10,000 on a second.  my credit score is 635  and 4yrs out of bankruptcy, I have 2,000 in credit cared debt and owe 5,700 for my car. Which is 99.00 a mo ,  my mort  is 448 a mo that is piti.. The second is...

Refinancing with a chapter 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking to refinance while still in my chapter 13. Can I secure all documents/applications without paying my attorney?

Bankruptcy & refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 years ago and now we are trying to refinance our home. We have a 1st and a 2nd lien (mortgage) on our home. There is no problem with the 1st as we reaffirmed it in our ch7, however our attorney did not get the paper in on time to reaffirm the 2nd so...

Refinancing my home [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago). I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%. We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days. Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area). I would like...

Re-refinancing my home mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago). I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%. We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days. Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area). I...

View more questions Search