Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nutty1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 10:22 PM
    All faucets in house.hot wtr lasts only 2-3 minutes
    I am not very knowledgeable with my homes plumbing like I should be. But I do know this... hot water has never been a problem in my home for the many years I've lived here. Within the past month, I've noticed that the hot water at all faucets lasts only for a few minutes. We have never had that problem. We do have a tankless hot water heater, and I do understand that I should run out of hot water faster than if I had a tank. But the hot water has always lasted for at least 10-15 minutes. Not anymore. Why could this be? What should I be looking for? This is becoming a pain, during the dead of winter, while taking a shower and/or giving the kids a bath. The water never actually gets real cold, it just gets luke warm with the hot valve(s) in the full open position. My hot water heater is very old. 70's I think. I know I should replace it anyway, but just not in the financial position to do so at this time. Please tell me my problem is something simple. Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

Nutty
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 12:38 AM

Hello Nutty,

Your heater is very old and It sounds like you have a broken dip tube.

The dip tube is a long narrow tube that directs incoming cold liquid to the bottom of the tank, preventing pre-mature mixing of incoming cold liquid with the out going hot liquid at the top of the tank. Without the dip tube, or with a broken dip tube, it may seem as though you run out very quickly, or you just get a Luke warm temperature.

See the Image below, Thanks.

John

How a water heater dip tube works and what it looks like.
    Nutty1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Hi John. Thanks, I will check the dip tube. Assuming I have one. As I said, I was told that it is a tankless htr. It is very small and tucked under my basement steps. It's a 3ft x 3ft box. I'm sure it has a tank, just a very small one. Should it also have a dip?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2009, 06:43 AM
    You do not have a dip tube on a tankless water heater, (see image). However ,depending on its size, you have elements. Have them checked and replaced if necessary. Good luck, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks Tom,

I miss read it I thought it was the regular water heater, you are correct there is no have a dip tube on a tank less water heater, Thanks.

Regards,
    John the tank less
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Nutty1...

Is this a gas or electric tankless water heater..?

Let us know...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New water heater, hot water in shower only lasts 3 minutes [ 40 Answers ]

I have been in this apartment 6 months and have never been able to have a warm shower longer than 3 minutes. I told my landlord and he replaced the water heater. But that didn't solve the problem. So he had a plumber come over and the plumber said maybe the water heater was defective. But then he...

Low pressure in some, not all faucets in the house [ 3 Answers ]

For the past year, we've been experiencing periods when the bathroom shower and kitchen sink faucets dip in water pressure for weeks or months. Other faucets (bathroom sinks, laundry sink) work just fine. Then, for no reason, all the pressure is the same for awhile. I called the water utility...

Hot Water lasts only 7 minutes and then is back in 10 minutes. [ 3 Answers ]

I recently just moved into a new place and I have had water heater problems since the first date of moving in. When we first moved in we had only about 5 minutes of hot water before it ran out barely warm/cold. We replaced it with another used hot water heater to find out that we needed to replace...

Hot water won't run in any of the faucets in the house [ 1 Answers ]

I was using hot water in the laundry room but suddenly an hour later there was no flow of hot water even though I was getting cold water form its side ,from the hot water side I was not getting a drop of water in the entire house. Thank you for any response.

Hot water to only SOME faucets in house [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a three-level town house. The water heater is on the bottom level, and the only faucet on that level services the clothes washer which is working fine. On the middle level of the house, the kitchen sink gets cold water at normal pressure but the hot trickles and eventually goes dry after...

View more questions Search