Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Feb 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Got Married wife changed name but.
    Okay Don't I feel funny asking questions here...

Anyway, I got married and my wife is using her new name for just about everything, including almost all of her W-2's.

However, she still has not changed her name on her SS card. So I know I have to use the old name on the return but are they going to question that most of her W-2's are in her new name? Will this hold up my return?

Thanks - JC
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 10:09 PM

Actually no you don't have to use the old name on the return, the IRS is not the social security admin.

They will look at the social security number as long as they match.

So she files using her new name, remember in next month or two to change the SS card
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Feb 2, 2009, 11:11 PM

Well Turbo Tax said to enter the name on the SS card on the return or it will hold it up.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 03:40 PM
    In this case, Fr Chuck is wrong.

Put the name that your wife's SSN is listed under with the Social Security Administration on your tax return until your wife goes down and gets it changed.

If you do not, for sure, an efiled return will be rejected. A mailed return will likely be accepted, but possibly not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just married but I miss my first wife so much. [ 16 Answers ]

My first wife Teresa passed May 12, 2004 she was 32. I have a beautiful daughter and son. I remarried Dec 07 because I wanted them to have a good female role model and my new wife is wonderful in every way. She is a paramedic, loves my children and loves me very much. I do care deeply about her...

Wife changed pass code [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my wife had the same pass code and she heard the girl in the background so my wife changed the code now she gets all my messages

Married for 10yrs, wife has a kid w/ another [ 2 Answers ]

Married for 10yrs, separated for 8yrs because I found out that my wife had a kid w/ another man but I signed the birth certificate, now I want to get divorced but the problem is I am in the military and I don't want to pay child support for a child that is not mine (I do not have a relationship...

F1-Opt and changed to H1B, married [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am really confused about my dual status Federal tax filing for the year 2007. My situation is: 1. I was in F1 status from 1/1/2007 to 07/15/2007 and was in H1B status after 07/15/2007. I was married in the whole 2007. My husband is on F1 status. 2. I am holding H1B status in the U.S...

Married and changed to H1B after Oct 1,2005 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, I read your Sticky Announcement Part II. I think I can file as a resident alien by virtue of "CHOOSING RESIDENT ALIEN STATUS" that appears on Page 9 of Pub. 519 since: a) I am married b) Both me and my wife were non-resdents at the beginning of the year (F1 & F2...

View more questions Search