Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zndzant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
    10% penalty exception for early 401(k) withdrawal
    I began collection SSD benefits in September of 2008. My last date of work due to disability was Mar 13, 2008. I withdrew my 401(k) money so that I could continue to meet my mortgage, living expenses and to pay medical expenses, including health insurance premiums.
    I am trying to find out if this exempt from the 10% penalty. The 401(k) company has told me that it does not qualify because the SSD claim was not approved at the time of the withdrawal, therefore box 7 on the 1099-R is coded correctly with a 1. I spoke to someone at the IRS, and they said that as long as I have a written statement from my physician that I was disabled, it is exempt and the box should be coded as 03. The timing of the withdrawal and the approval of the SSD claim doesn't matter as long as I have a statement from my physician. I quess my question is twofold:
    1. Do I need to get a corrected 1099-R? Or
    2. Do I need to file form 5329(?) to report the exception?

Or is this transaction truly subject to the early withdrawal tax?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 03:11 PM

If you are totally and permanently disabled then you meet the requirement for an exception from the 10% early withdrawal penalty. You do not need a corrected 1099-R, but you should complete and attach form 5329 to claim an exemption. I also suggest you include documentation that demonstrates your disability, such as a letter from your doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRA early withdrawal penalty paid? [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering early withdraw of one of my trad. IRA's. I have the option of having the 10% penalty with-held or not, from the withdrawal. When is this federal 10% penalty due (at point of withdrawal or April '09) ? Thank You

Early 401K Withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

What Is The Penalty For One Who Withdraws 401k Funds Before Age 591/2

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 6 Answers ]

When my husband and I bought our new home in 2005, we both withdrew money from our 401Ks. I took $5,693 of which they took 20% in federal income tax withheld and he took $8,000 of which they took 10% in federal income tax withheld. They are now coming back to me and saying we both owe the 10%...

Penalty for early withdrawal of 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I was laid off my current job after 7 years. I am 51 years old. How much will I be penalized for withdrawing my 401K?:confused:

401k early withdrawal and 10% penalty [ 2 Answers ]

In regard to an early 401k withdrawal, can someone advise if the 10% penalty is calculated on the amount AFTER the 20% withholding, or is it on the amount of the original withdraw? (e.g. If you withdraw $10,000 from your 401k early, and the company withholds 20%=$2000; are you then required to pay...

View more questions Search