Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Dry itchy skin
    My dogs are scratching a lot. They have no fleas and I am giving them Salmon oil for dry skin. Is there anything else I can be doing to relieve dry skin?
    JJCH Posts: 122, Reputation: 7

Feb 2, 2009, 12:16 PM

Several things cause dry skin on a dog. The amount of time they spend outdoors can be one factor, usually the longer they spend outside, the drier the skin can get due to allergins and even fertilizers and chemicals in the yard if applicable. Dogs can have allergies, perhaps you can get them tested? Another things is, what kind of shampoo do you use to bath the dogs? The best shampoos for dogs are all natuaral with moisturizers built in. Never use human shampoo on a dog. They do make conditioners for dogs to treat dry skin. Petsmart should have something. Also, what is the dog eating? What they call "Premium dog foods" usually have sufficient omega 3 fatty acids to suppliment a dogs coat and skin. Examples would be iams and eukenuba. If you feed what they call "cheaper dog food" (alpo, purina, etc.) then you might want to suppliment with omega 3 fatty acid supplements. I personally feed Purina one to my dog (considered by some to be cheaper dog food) and she does fine on that with omega 3 suppliments. She's 14 ys old and I give her supplimetns for her skin and her joints. If all else fails you can try an oatmeal treatment. Basically you mix oatmeal in a paste with water and apply it to the itchy patch on the skin. Then you cover it with a warm moist towel for about 15 minutes. Ive been told you have to do this every day, seems kind of a pain to me to do that, though. The main things I think that would help you are proper shampoos, conditioner and the omega suppliments.
    gisele13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 08:32 AM
    UOTE=;][/QUOTE]One of my dogs(I have 5) has been fighting all his life with the scratching problem on his back close to the tail, mostly in the spring and summer.After all the creams possible that I have used to help him I have found finally the best solution to help him.It is simple and very chip.Here is the solution. In a spraying small butle, mix one part of APPLE CIDER VINEGAR only with one part of WATER.Spray the dog affected area several time. It should help him
    Gisele
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 04:33 PM

They are both on a great diet and just got groomed yesterday. Oatmeal shampoo and a special natural conditioner around their necks (where the scratching is) They both get 1/4 allergy pill in morning because of chewing on their feet during allergy season. They only seem to scratch in the morning and I have made sure dog bedding and my bedding is clean. I only give them the Salmon oil every other day, because I believe the older ones skin is sensitive to it, he gets a little pinkish on his under belly. These are little dogs 12 and 17 pounds. I have taken them to the vet and the doctor is the one who suggested the allergy pill.
    jeepgrl015 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2009, 11:09 AM

I don't know how severe it is but my dogs have been scratching a lot lately also. I started using a humidifier in the rooms and it has helped a GREAT deal. I have also limited their time outside when it is cold outside

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reddish itchy dry skin! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey buddies I don want to use any cream of cleansers help me.. I think I 've this due to improper usage of soap... It ruptures my skin.. This causes me lag in doing my work.. 1 whether soap 've to be taken foamed and then should be applied or any other methods.. 2 whether it should be...

Itchy skin rash [ 1 Answers ]

I have had an extremely itchy skin rash on my leg for about 2 weeks now, there is no specific pattern, no heat radiating from my skin, I did have what seemed to be a 24 hour bug just prior to the onset of the rash, but these symptoms have completely cleared up. It is a raised red rash, with a...

Itchy skin [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! My dog has one spot that seems a bit itchy. The vet said that she seemed to have a little bit of grass irritation, but that there weren't any signs of anything significant. Is there something over the counter that might help? Hand lotion, hydrocortisone cream, something like that? I...

Shih tzu dry itchy skin [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my mum has a shih tzu dog that has dry red itchy skin, apparently common with this breed. She has tried everything now she gets medication from vet. He still scratches but a little less severely. Love some advice

Itchy red skin on chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

My chihuahua has a terrible time scratching, she is losing hair , her skin looks red and irritated and has developed some hot "itchy spots she scratches and makes a sore. I have tried changing her brands of food, Any ideas?? :confused:

View more questions Search