Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    If one were to follow your illogical logic it should then be legal for prostitution, opium dens, gambling, and pollution control equipment free automobiles and trucks all across the country.
    Hello 450:

Close, but no cigar. Ever hear of victimless crimes?? All the above are victimless crimes and should be legal in a free society - except, of course, the pollution stuff. We're ALL victims of that.

I don't expect you to understand the concept of "victimless" crimes.

excon
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 06:18 PM

OK, lets follow this a bit further. How about legalizing cocaine, and then taxing it to death. Then you will truly have a society that government can take and do with as they please. Once you have everybody high on coke it is pretty easy to completely take over a society. Just as the Russians about that and cheap vodka! Now you have a bunch of mind numbed robots for the likes of the liberals to do with as they please. Do you really want goologs and political prisons in this country?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2009, 06:40 PM
    Hello again, 450:

It's like I said. You don't understand the concept of victimless crimes.

Actually, if you legalized cocaine and taxed it to death, you'd have more than enough money to provide treatment on demand for cocaine addicts. Most people don't want to be addicted, and would, in my view, opt for treatment...

But, if some don't, so what? How does a cocaine addict hurt you? Of course, he doesn't. That's the idea behind a victimless crime. There's no victim - not even YOU.

Noooo, you won't be a victim of some crazy crak head EVEN if you own a convenience store down in the hood. Do you know why? I'll tell you. If we legalized cocaine, it would cost about a buck to get high all day, and that with it being taxed to death. So, we'd end THAT scourge too.

Plus, we'd save about $30 Billion every year because we don't have to imprison them. Plus we'd save another $ 75 Billion every year because we could end the international drug war.

The good new is, that we'd have plenty of room left in the slam to keep sex offenders forever. You should like that.

All in all, legalizing drugs would be VERY beneficial for us.

excon
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Wait, what? Legalize cocaine and crack? Pot I can see...
    I know and have been around coke and people who use it, I assume you have to. Can you imagine Ex, what our society would be like... there would be way more people opting to do it if it weren't so darn expensive, we would have even more "stupid" arguments and fights. It may not be over "how am i gonna get it"... but I assure you it changes a person... and that change ain't good. I am so not for it. I will not say I haven't been a victim. I won't say how, but I know for sure as you probably do that a guy or gal on crack or cocaine, well they just aren't healthy livin' folks. Stupid things happen when you are on coke.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 07:59 PM
    On the OQ, I think since he is in the eyes of all, he should have watched his azz and not done what he did. Kids and adults looked up to him, it makes no sense for him to just let it be. He needs to take a break and get serious about what he wants. Pot or Gold?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 09:07 PM
    I think society puts "role model" status on athletes unfairly. Michael Phelps is a kid who experimented with pot. Most kids do.

However when he accepted money to represent companies for advertising purposes, he also accepted the responsibility to maintain a certain public image. They have every right to pull sponsorship and even sue for breach of contract because business is business.

The thing that really bothers me about this issue is the news media. They are presenting the point of view that he is negatively influencing children. If that's true, then why do they keep showing the picture over and over and over again. If they cared about the children, wouldn't they refuse to show the picture?
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22 View Post
    there would be way more people opting to do it if it werent so darn expensive,
    Hello start:

Personally, I don't know anybody who wants to DO drugs, but they're just waiting on the sidelines for them to become legal. I don't think you do either. Everybody I know who wants to DO drugs, already DOES do drugs.

Yes, there are a few, I'm sure...

But, I suggest that there are MORE addicts who will STOP drugs if treatment was available than there will be NEW addicts just starting up. So, in my view, legalization along with treatment on demand, will result in a net REDUCTION in drug use.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does Michael Steele need to do? [ 14 Answers ]

"“We’re going to bring this party to every corner, every boardroom, every street and every community in this country. . . . To those of you who want to obstruct, get ready to get knocked over.” Michael Steele

Michael Johnson-Fastest man ever? [ 4 Answers ]

When Michael Johnson ran 19.32secs for the 200m in Atlanta 96', taking into account he ran a bend but was already hitting top speed when entering the second 100, would his average speed in this race have been fast enough to better the current 100m record of 9.77secs? Is there anyway of working this...

Metallica and Michael Jackson [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyone like Michael Jackson and Metallica? Is there anyone could tell me some updated news about Metallica?

Michael Bloomberg [ 4 Answers ]

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg was a Democrat. For opportunistic reasons he switched political parties to Republican in 2001 so he could get himself on the ballot for a NY City campaign . He poured enough of his own money into the race that he won the job. He will complete his 2nd term and is looking...

View more questions Search