Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brad_n_Catie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 05:09 AM
    Cleaning interior walls?
    Hi, the walls on the house my boyfriend and I want to buy are very disgusting, dirty, moldy looking, the works. The reason we want this house is for a starter home, we have fixed houses up before with his parents but we don't know everything because this house is a piece. So, what should I wash the walls with? I am going to re-paint them so keeping the paint in perfect condition is not a problem.
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 05:26 AM

Go to a hardware store and ask them for
    Some sugar of soap.
    This is what we call it in Australia.
    Good luck.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 2, 2009, 09:34 AM

Try TSP, maybe some bleach if there is mold. You could prime the walls too before painting to seal any odors, I like latex Kilz for that.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 09:45 AM
    I'll second Amricca's suggestion. TSP works great...

Check out this link for more information:

AOL Search

Let us know if need more info.

PS... wear gloves as this stuff can burn sensitive skin. Comes in powder or liquid.

MARK
    Attached Images

Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 2, 2009, 09:46 AM

Make sure you have it inspected by a professional home inspector before you buy it. That surface stuff may indicate larger problems that will quickly drain your bank account.

I believe I've seen a recommendation of 1/4 cup of bleach per gallon of water for a washing solution. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and work in a well ventilated area.

Kilz ROCKS!
    Ber
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 05:02 AM

Hi, Brad_n_Catie!

If the walls are, as you describe, "moldy looking", do they have any mold on them? If they do, then you'll need to also find out why they're moldy so that mold can be prevented from happening in the future.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frost on interior walls [ 17 Answers ]

We've been in our home for nearly three years. Don't ask me how I've noticed this before but we actually get frost on a couple of areas of the downstairs walls. Also there is a lot of cold air moving around the bottom of the baseboards in the downstairs. Anyone know causes and solutions for...

Frost on interior walls [ 10 Answers ]

I have a new construction home and have been in the home 3 months. Mid December I noticed wet spots on our northwest wall. Approx. 20 spots appeared and our walls felt cold. I had a professional come and read the temp of the walls. Anywhere from 35-45 degrees in the corner of the rooms and along...

Cleaning interior walls before painting. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I'm about to clean some interior walls before some workmen come in and paint them in an old house I'm renovating. They were white/ivory and are now very discolored and in parts very grimey.They have a flat finish. Any suggestions on how I should clean them ? Thanks in advance. C.

Painting interior walls [ 2 Answers ]

Does painting an interior wall with two coats of paint instead of only one change the color. For example, does it make the wall color darker, deeper, etc. If the wall color is brighter than you expected, will two coats of paint darken the color a little? Or are you just stuck picking another...

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

View more questions Search