Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:56 AM
    If You're Into Men Singing.
    If you're into men singing barbershop style music or otherwise, then please click on the following two links for a couple of videos that will blow you away!

If you view them, would you please let me know what you think of them? :)

Thanks!

YouTube - Westminster Chorus 2007 Strike Up The Band

YouTube - Westminster Promo Video 2008
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Feb 2, 2009, 06:44 AM

Flawless! I was listening for the slightest flat or sharp note... there were none. Listening and looking for a note held too long or cut short... none! The 23-second long note at the end of "Strike Up the Band", Wow! From what I could hear and see, there was no alternating there either to keep the note going. Great blend of voices! Kind of reminds me of school, we were just not near that good! Where is this school?
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 03:27 AM
    Hi, hauser5!

That Strike Up the Band video brings a lump to my throat every time I view it!

They're a barbershop chorus that's located in California.

The Westminster Chorus - 2007 International Gold Medalists - Barbershop for the 21st Century! - Home

They're not from a certain school. Although, they are young. To be in it, a person has to audition and not be over a certain age.

That really long note at the end is called a "post" in barbershop lingo.

I direct the Rock Island Chapter of the Bend of the River Chorus. I'm slowly developing our website.

Bend of the River Chorus |

Nothing really fancy on the website yet. So, what's your background in music, please?

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 03:42 AM

Beautiful! It was very inspirational and what harmony... just amazing! The ending of strike up the band was a great transition,unique and just wonderful!! It really pulled you in.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 03:57 AM

Thanks, artlady! It gets to me every time I view it! Such an inspiration!
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Feb 3, 2009, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, hauser5!

That Strike Up the Band video brings a lump to my throat every time I view it!

They're a barbershop chorus that's located in California.

The Westminster Chorus - 2007 International Gold Medalists - Barbershop for the 21st Century! - Home

They're not from a certain school. Although, they are young. To be in it, a person has to audition and not be over a certain age.

That really long note at the end is called a "post" in barbershop lingo.

I direct the Rock Island Chapter of the Bend of the River Chorus. I'm slowly developing our website.

Bend of the River Chorus |

Nothing really fancy on the website yet. So, what's your background in music, please?

Thanks!
    My musical background:
    There was always music in our house. My dad's band was voted #1 band in the Augusta, GA area when he was in his twenties. He was 36 when I was born, but still managed and sometimes played in bands on weekends. There were always musicians and practice/jam sessions in our house. Also, we went to church every Sunday, and sang songs around the piano afterwards. All the kids took piano lessons. I quit though, then tried violin and quit that. Guitar was the only instrument besides voice that I could stick with. At age 13, I began playing guitar and by 15, I was playing on stage in front of crowds at an all ages club that we built/opened in Hephzibah, GA. I also played clarinet and then saxophone in middle school. I was in my first chorus class in grade 8. In high school I focused on academics more, until grade 11. I auditioned for John S. Davidson Fine Arts School, and got in for drama. I ended up having a small part in "Picnic at Hanging Rock" my first year. By the end of grade 12, I landed the lead role of Joseph in our production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". This performance caught the eye and ear of the local college's Dean of the music school at Augusta State University, and I was awarded a full music scholarship, which I accepted. I later withdrew from the program and moved to Nashville, TN. Family members soon followed, and we continued our band, "The Hauser Brothers". We recorded a full CD in 1999, but on our own dime. The only thing that almost happened in Music City was that I almost landed a job with a song publishing company-to-be on Music Row that fell through. I was shown my office and everything, but the investors fell through. I made a small buzz on music row with my original song "This Apartment". I have had some hit songwriters try and get their name on that song. I have written hundreds of songs. That's it for now.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 3, 2009, 05:38 AM

I need to send that to someone I know, he's sung in competitions in a barbershop quartet for many years.
    Ber
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ber Rabbit View Post
    I need to send that to someone I know, he's sung in competitions in a barbershop quartet for many years.
    Ber
    Thanks, Ber Rabbit!

It's nice to know that there are others who appreciate that kind of music!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauser5 View Post
    my musical background:
    There was always music in our house. My dad's band was voted #1 band in the Augusta, GA area when he was in his twenties. He was 36 when I was born, but still managed and sometimes played in bands on weekends. There were always musicians and practice/jam sessions in our house. Also, we went to church every Sunday, and sang songs around the piano afterwards. All the kids took piano lessons. I quit though, then tried violin and quit that. Guitar was the only instrument besides voice that I could stick with. At age 13, I began playing guitar and by 15, I was playing on stage in front of crowds at an all ages club that we built/opened in Hephzibah, GA. I also played clarinet and then saxophone in middle school. I was in my first chorus class in grade 8. In high school I focused on academics more, until grade 11. I auditioned for John S. Davidson Fine Arts School, and got in for drama. I ended up having a small part in "Picnic at Hanging Rock" my first year. By the end of grade 12, I landed the lead role of Joseph in our production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". This performance caught the eye and ear of the local college's Dean of the music school at Augusta State University, and I was awarded a full music scholarship, which I accepted. I later withdrew from the program and moved to Nashville, TN. Family members soon followed, and we continued our band, "The Hauser Brothers". We recorded a full CD in 1999, but on our own dime. The only thing that almost happened in Music City was that I almost landed a job with a song publishing company-to-be on Music Row that fell through. I was shown my office and everything, but the investors fell through. I made a small buzz on music row with my original song "This Apartment". I have had some hit songwriters try and get their name on that song. I have written hundreds of songs. That's it for now.
    Thanks, hauser5!

It looks like you have quite a bit of experience in the music and fine arts areas in general with a lot of accomplishments as well as things that you tried, but for one reason or another, things just didn't work out...

What are you doing, now? Do you at least play some piano?

Thanks!
    nothing lasts Posts: 71, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2009, 03:43 PM

Your amazing clough.I truly adore that kind of music.thats really nice
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 01:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing lasts View Post
    ur amazing clough.i truly adore that kind of music.thats really nice
    I'm glad that you liked that, nothing lasts!

Thanks!
    nothing lasts Posts: 71, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 11:46 AM

Yeah thanks.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 10:07 PM
    Are you, yourself into doing singing, nothing lasts?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singing [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, Well I'm about to turn 14 and I really love to sing. But I'm really shy so I don't sing publicly. But I know to become a singer you can't be stagefright and stuff so I don't know if should just give up on singing or try to find a solution. And I know that I need to improve my...

Singing [ 9 Answers ]

How do I get myself out there and show people how good I am at singing?

Singing Bug [ 3 Answers ]

Here's to a GREAT DAY click here below click here: SINGING BUG

Singing [ 3 Answers ]

I want to be a singer when I grow up but I have problems writing songs wha should I do? I have no idea.

Singing! [ 1 Answers ]

I really really want to be a professional singer and everyone says I've got an amazing voice but I just don't know where to start. I'm 13 but I have to start now (singing for free), I'm thinking of going on the x factor when I'm 16 but until then I need to be occupied: with singing!. please please...

View more questions Search