Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 02:26 AM
    What is a Planet?
    What is a Planet?

Debate Forces New Definition.

I would very much like to resurrect the debate here.

I was very disappointed with the demotion of PLUTO.
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2009, 02:42 AM

I understand that astronomers are disagreeing whether Pluto is or is not a planet. I personally believe that it is a planet. I also believe that we do not know enough about Pluto to really say otherwise. I did find some things on the issue and hope this is relevant.

Astronomers agree about two things. To be a planet, and object must orbit a star. If it orbits something else, like another planet, it is a moon instead. The second point is that the object must be big enough that gravity makes it into a sphere. Many asteroids and comets have odd shapes. They are definitely not planets.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraKammeraad View Post
    I understand that astronomers are disagreeing whether or not Pluto is or is not a planet.
    I don't think they are. They were a year and a half ago, but now a definition is in place that states that Pluto is not a planet.

I also believe that we do not know enough about Pluto to really say otherwise.
    If you had an object, and did not have enough information to know whether to call it a cup or not, would you call it a cup?

Astronomers agree about two things. To be a planet, and object must orbit a star. If it orbits something else, like another planet, it is a moon instead. The second point is that the object must be big enough that gravity makes it into a sphere. Many asteroids and comets have odd shapes. They are definitely not planets.
    The official definition by the International Astronomical Union:

Quote Originally Posted by IAU
    The IAU...resolves that planets and other bodies, except satellites, in our Solar System be defined into three distinct categories in the following way:

(1) A planet [1] is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A "dwarf planet" is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape [2], (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.

(3) All other objects [3], except satellites, orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar System Bodies".

Footnotes:

[1] The eight planets are: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
    [2] An IAU process will be established to assign borderline objects into either dwarf planet and other categories.
    [3] These currently include most of the Solar System asteroids, most Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs), comets, and other small bodies.
    Hope this helps.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLCAM View Post
    What is a Planet?
    Any sphere of a certain size. Pluto is too small for a planet, so falls now in the group of dwarf planets. Anything (much) smaller than Pluto is classed as an asteroid.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2009, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    Any sphere of a certain size. Pluto is too small for a planet, so falls now in the group of dwarf planets. Anything (much) smaller than Pluto is classed as an asteroid.
    There are 2 more conditions for a planet to meet - see my post.
    -

Feb 15, 2009, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    There are 2 more conditions for a planet to meet - see my post.
    Incorrect. If you study what I posted, you will see that it was correct.
    The way I stated it I did not have to specify the "clearing" of debris etc. I kept to the basics of the question "what is a planet".

Copying text from other websites we all can do, but I do not think that was necessary here.
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Incorrect. If you study what I posted, you will see that it was correct.
    The way I stated it I did not have to specify the "clearing" of debris etc. I kept to the basics of the question "what is a planet".

Copying text from other websites we all can do, but I do not think that was necessary here.
    By your condition, Ganymede and Titan would be considered planets, as they are bigger than Mercury, but they are moons.

Right?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2009, 03:03 PM

I wonder what ROLCAM thinks?

Thanks!
    -

Feb 15, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin View Post
    By your condition, Ganymede and Titan would be considered planets, as they are bigger than Mercury, but they are moons.Right?
    Right. I should have added "in orbit of a star, not of a planet". But that was logical anyway, wasn't it? :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Right. I should have added "in orbit of a star, not of a planet". But that was logical anyway, wasn't it? :)

No, apparently not.
    -

Feb 22, 2009, 06:09 PM
    JudyKayTee

Why that unnecessary negative attitude? If Capuchin had posted that, it would have been a different matter.
    But he did not do that. You did.
    All that is apparent here is that you seem to have a problem, but do not address that in the relevant topic.
    A post that is an 'expert' unworthy !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nemesis and planet X [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know more about Sol's twin(?) named Nemesis and planet X, which is supposed to orbit between Nemesis and Sol. Is there any proof that they exist? Where are they supposed to be located? What is the length of orbit of planet X supposed to be?

Additional planet [ 9 Answers ]

How pluto consider as planet? What are the additional two planet that was discovered?

New Exo Planet [ 11 Answers ]

I read in the newspaper, that we have a new planet. Could you tell me more about this? That is if you heard this.

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search