Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimmysue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 06:16 AM
    What can I do??
    I am at my wits end, I have lived in my home for 4 years and have never bothered anyone, recently there has been a lot of theif's we have even had items stolen. We live on a lake where most of the neighbors just come out for holidays and weekends. But since we live here all year round one neighbor has started rumors that we are doing the stealing and now eveyone is saying the same thing even though there is no proof nor is it true!! About 6 months ago is when the stealing started.The lady we lease the land our house is on started screaming at me the other day when I tried to pay our lease that we are thieves and she is not going to take anymore money from us. My house is not moveable I am so worried about what is going to happen.The neighbor who started the rumor buys up all the leases around here and then rents then out at double the price and he has said to others that once he runs us off our house will be his for free,The lady who owns the land lets him do as he wants.Can they do this? Can they kick us off and take our house even though the house is paid for? PLEASE HELP
    Scared in East Texas
    luvee Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Aug 8, 2006, 06:30 AM
    If you have a contract, say contract of lease and its not terminated yet, I think, they can't kick you off your house and read alsowhat is stipulated in your contract. If you don't have a contract of lease, well, they have the authority to kick you off. The best thing to do is talk to a lawyer... don't entertain the rumors and don't be scared as long as it's not true. Bring this thing into legality, that's I think the best thing you can do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2006, 06:37 AM
    You need to consult an attorney immediately. You also need to get someone to testify that this person has accused you of stealing. This person has committed slander and they can sued for it. Generally its not worth suing someone for slander unless you can prove significant damage. But the possibility of being forced out of your home seems to me enough to sue over.

You also need to review the lease you have and under what conditions it can be terminated.

It certainly sounds to me, based on what you have told us, that this person is trying to force you out so he can buy the rights for resale at a higher rate. If you can prove that he has started these rumors and he can't prove they are true, then you have a strong case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search