Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Important correction, a must read on inmate funds for college
    I owe a lot of "cons" or excons as they call them a serioius I am sorry. For the past year or more I have given some very incorrect information on the issue of money for school.

I have always posted there is no "special" money for excons to go to college. This is very wrong I have found out today.

The correct answer it will depend in the US by your state. Some states offer programs that wll pay for tution costs ( not books) for college.
    I have found that GA has a program that will pay while they are even in prison if the inmate can pay for the books. This is a state funded program from my understanding.

I was personally in one of the State Prisons here in GA and I am currently even helping hm get his high school transcripts so he can enroll in this.

So the complete correct answer is

It varies by State and you have to contact your Prison Couselor in prison, and your Parole officer after prison And/or talk to your school aid office that will know about it, if your state has it available and if your school accepets it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the update on this touchy subject. That's real news to me.

But does this hinge on the inmate applying prior to release or can they apply after release?

May I suggest making this a "sticky" Chuck?
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 09:12 PM
    The paper work I have at this point seems to be time issue, for at least while in or on parole, still under the Dept of Corrections.

It seems to allow a correspondance course, and even though this is GA, the University of Ohio or Iowa ( the person telling me had a serous southern accent) is somehow part of it.

My son is a helper in the education department at one of the State Prisons, I visited the prison today and when they told me about the college program I almost droped,

So this is fresh off the press without me having full details except that there really is some programs.
    Seems like a fairly well keep secret, I guess they did not want everyone to know as it may cause some fallout if non felons find out there is a program if you go do a crime that you can't get if you obey the laws.
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 09:20 PM
    Update to my update,

This is a federal grant program,
    The offender has to be currently "in prison"
    The offender has to be under the age of 26
    And the grant will pay for only two classes that have to be completed in 8 months.
    *** I believe they can apply for another grant after they do those two classes.
    Ohio University College Program for the Incarcerated (CPI).
    Is the school used for all of the grants.
    The grant will pay for all costs including books and postage for the inmate to mail the lessons back

Since it is a federal grant, it is likely to be available in other states,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College Funds and etiquette [ 2 Answers ]

How does one go about offering gift suggestions for their children? The holidays are now behind us and I wonder how I should have handled things differently for future years. Family and friends solicit me as to what my boys want and I find myself struggling to come up with an answer. Many of...

Withdrawing Funds for College Tuition [ 2 Answers ]

We have a son in college and would like to withdraw funds to pay for his tuition. Is there a penalty for this?

Withdrawing Funds from 401-K for college tuition [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any penalties for early withdrawal on 401-k for college tuition?

College funds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1 year old daughter and would like to start some kind of college fund for her but have no clue what would be the best program out there. Please advice which fund would be best and save money on Taxes. Thanks, Joe

View more questions Search