Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LuCkYPr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Afraid of everything!
    Hi

We just adopted a sheltie who was rescued from a puppy mill. He have 3 years and it look like he never been with human. He doesn't eat in front of us and is afraid of everything. I know that we have to give him some time to adapt. But if any home know some advice or any I can help him to be a dog again I will be very thankful. :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 05:35 PM

I can empathize with him as I have fostered some dogs like him. I got right down on the floor with him and let him smell my hand, sniff all around me, offered him food and water. If he didn't want it, I let him be. I made him a really good bed in a warm spot. It takes a lot of patience, Lucky, just use your own good sense and feelings. Love won't come easy to him yet, but he will respond, he probably already knows you are there for him and he is warm and thankful.

Good luck, love,

Ms tickle
    LuCkYPr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Thank you so much.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 1, 2009, 11:09 PM

Three years of hell is a lot to get over, and it will take time and patience. He must learn to trust, and you must learn to give him the time and space to do so. No matter how much you feel he needs love to make up for what he's been through, but you must not overwhelm him, in actions or feelings. If you are tense, or if you try too hard, it will only stress him more. Just try sitting there, let him get use to your presence. Don't try to call to him, or grab him, or stare him in the eyes. That can be taken as a sign of dominance and aggression to him, and while you will eventually need to establish your role as pack leader, you need to earn his trust first. Once he is use to you just being there, he might feel more comfortable and curious to try and approach you. Let him come to you and sniff you, without trying to touch him. The motion just might scare him, and it could take awhile before he works up the guts again. Once he is frequently coming to check you out and seems a bit bolder, then try interacting with him. Give him a treat, talk softly, and move slowly. Trying reaching out underhanded. Its less threatening.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 03:25 AM

Hi Silverfoxkit, the advice about the hand is so very right. I never offer my hand palm up for a dog to approach and sniff, always palm down with fingers slightly curled and relaxed. If palm is up, it is threatening, like a slap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Afraid to be alone [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old son. He is good looking, plays sports, gets good grades and all that stuff. The problem is he is terrified to be alone in a room in the house. Especially at night. Have any of you experienced this? If so, what helped you?It's been going on for many years and I kept telling...

Afraid to do anything [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I have a problem that every time I want to do some work, I get scared that if I do it I might not be successful because the time is not right or I feel that if I get get started on sone work, something bad might happen. Because of this I am unable to to anything and I feel I am...

Afraid to have sex [ 5 Answers ]

I was raped about two years ago, I was 20 and a virgin then, and I haven't slept with anyone since. Met a guy I really really like a few weeks ago. He knows about the rape, but haven't told him that I'm afraid to 'you know'. I feel ready, I really do. But I still remember the terrible pain from...

I'm afraid of my son! [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 22 yrs old and mentally disturbed. I have taken him to the local MHMR but they only prescribe anti-depressant and anti-psychotic drugs. No counseling or coping skills. He can not hold down a job and cannot seem to take care of himself. I don't know what to do with him. I am afraid he...

Why am I so afraid? [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago I visited a site where a large historic ship was docked. I have been on ships several times, for cruises, and never had any issues,however just looking at this one ship frightened me to the point I could not look at it. Today, I was walking my dog, and a large CAT...

View more questions Search