Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zxed Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
    adding tub, p-trap + vent?
    Trying to decide if I need to add a vent for tub p-trap.

the pictures show the area the tub will go in (left side)
    the right side is where the drain is.

I can face the tub with the drain on the left side but venting the 10ft p-trap would be a decent amount of work

so the tub would need to have its drain on the right, which brigs it roughly in the middle of the room.

if a p-trap must be vented at a max of 5', it might work, otherwise I will need to take a vent up to the crawl space above the bathroom, and then join the vent with the current vent (shown in picture) in the crawl space. Thoughts, suggestions? Would it be a major issue having a p-trap that's vented at 6'?

this may or may not help... the tub will almost never be used... adding it only for lame property value since I removed the tub for a walk in shower (different part of the bathroom)
    Attached Images

Feb 1, 2009, 04:12 PM

****MORE INFO****
    Tub drain is only 4.5' from the drain-vent in wall that will also be used by double vanity sinks...

Any issues?

I might just put in the drain and cap it. leave it for the next homeowner to decide if they want a tub...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Zxed...

I SEE NO ISSUE WITH HOOKING THE TUB INTO THIS DRAIN. The only question is if WET VENTING is allowed in your area or not.. To determine the answer to this you would need to call a local plumbing inspector and simply ask if you can vent a tub using a 2" vent from the bathroom sink?

If you can wet vent then the tub should not need an additional vent as long as within 5 feet of the pipe.

If you cannot wet vent then you will need to individually vent this tub and the sinks as drawn below... ;)

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 1, 2009, 06:56 PM

I'm in CA and I thik since 06 you may wet vent Award winning plumbing, kitchen, water and bath help, discussion and advice forum = Plbg.com

Could you update your diagram and show a wet vent only scenario AND (pretty please) include how you would connect a double sink vanity to that line you have on the right (to sink)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 07:26 PM
    No problem... here it is. See below.
    Attached Images

Feb 1, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    No problem...here it is. See below.
    I don't think I need a p-trap... they sent me something with the vanity. let me take a pic

Feb 1, 2009, 09:56 PM
    I mean, I don't think I need p-traps for the sinks... see attached. what the heck is this?

How would I attach this to my abs drain?
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 05:10 AM
    I believe they call that a bottle-trap... this trap may or may not be legal in your area. This is important, especially if you are planning on selling the home down the road... home inspector may flag as illegal and then all would need to be replaced. Call the local plumbing inspector and ask him if bottle-traps are allowed.

If allowed, the trap hooks up as shown below... ;)

If not allowed and since this is a double sink with VANITY BASE then it is just as well to install pvc p-traps and transition over from the trap to the sink pop-up assembly using a 1.5" x 1.25" pvc desanco fitting (last picture).

Good luck!

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 2, 2009, 11:40 PM

Thank you. abs in my case. but... regardless of it being allowed or not. if it messes with the storage space under the sink, ill be using the bottle trap. and when needed, will switch to p-trap :) it shdnt be so hard to change between the two ONCE. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Max. Distance between p-trap and vent stack [ 13 Answers ]

Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? If the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a separate vent / drain ?

Vent and p trap placement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a modular home and I'am having an addition added on for the kitchen,so I'am moving the sink and all cabinets including the counter out ten feet. I have a crawl space under to run my ptrap down but I don't know where I need to tie in the vent pipe because it's back ten feet in the old wall??

Can vent suck all the water from S trap? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in a cottage bathroom. THere was no previous shower. I plan to use the same vent that I use for the toilet and sink. The shower is around 10 feet from the vent; the toilet and sink are between the shower and vent. Is it possible for the vent to suck all the water out...

Adding drain for washing machine - do I need a pea trap and vent? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 2 new washers and dryers on each floor in our two flat in a kitchen pantry (the building is 120 year old frame building.) We are installing the wall insert that has the hole for the water coming in and a hole to put the drain hose going out. I know it has to be about 42" off the...

Is it trouble if there is no vent or trap on WM branch [ 6 Answers ]

I have a washer drain line, 2 inch diameter stand pipe without a vent or trap. Should I be concerned; I haven't noticed any issues? The stand pipe extends from a wall say 36 inches from the floor, does down; angles away from the foundation, then angles further down directly into the house's...

View more questions Search