Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevierayp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
    We are being forced to move out of our mobile home park
    We were told last week we had to move out by the end of June. (all 300 mobile homes)
    The reason, the Dept of environmental quality told the owners in 2002 they needed to upgrade the sewer treatment system. They did nothing. We were not aware of this information until last week.
    Can I stop paying my lot rent? I really need that money to move the mobile home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Steve
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:24 PM

Who told you the park's homes must be moved? How were you notified of this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 07:38 PM

This is a yes and no issue,

First if you have a legal rental, you are legally bound to pay as long as you are living there.
    \
    Next do you own the mobile home or just renting it ?

Do you have a written lease.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 07:55 PM

Also, depending on the size of the mobile home it usually costs in the neighborhood of $5,000 for a single wide to tear down in readyness to move it, move it, prepare the lot where it is to be moved to, block and level it and reconnect the electricity, water and sewer lines. For a double wide it's around $10,000 to do the same services and add into that the tear down of the home, wrapping it in heavy plastic wrap, and the putting the home together again. And no, you can't do this yourself as it takes professionals who know what they are doing to do this properly as the house will not be able to be put back together ever if done wrong.

Feb 1, 2009, 08:10 PM
    We were notified less than a week ago by a letter from the mobile home park.
    I think we did sign a lease over 10 yrs ago.
    There are over 300 trailers in this park, almost 750 people.
    I'm not upset that I have to move, I'm upset that they knew about this since 2002 and didn't say anything until 5 months before the water would be turned off.

They promised the Oklahoma Dept. of Environmental Quality that they would start upgrading the system at the end of 2004, which they never did.

We are still getting facts about this.

Steve
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 08:18 PM

It sounds like perhaps you don't own the mobile home but merely rent?

If you just merely rent, and have not been on a written lease, they just don't have to, not a good reason but basically they wanted to keep earning income till they had to tell you

Feb 1, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Sorry I didn't answer that part.
    I do own the mobile home.

Steve
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 08:25 PM

Good point here, there may be some issues that may allow some law suits against the part for part of the moving expense, that is why we are asking

Feb 1, 2009, 08:28 PM
    If I don't pay the lot rent and use that money to help get me moved, can they sue me for the lot rent?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevierayp View Post
    can they sue me for the lot rent?
    Hello steve:

Sure... But, if ALL 300 of you don't pay rent, they're not going sue ALL of you... And, if they HAVE money to sue, why didn't they fix the problem in the first place?

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 09:43 AM

Does your mobile home park have a Homeowner's Association or Tenant's Association? I used to live in a park of over 1,000 homes where they had a Tenant's Association with a President, VP, Treasurer, etc. that held monthly meetings. The TA had a kitty that would be used for attorney's fees, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile Home Park Eviction [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband And I Have Been Renting A Lot In A Mobile Home Parkin Va For 3 Years Now. We Just Received A "so Called" Eviction Notice The Other Day. It Was On Plain Paper Typed On A Computer. It Only Stated That We Had To Leave The Premises Within 30 Days, It Did Not State Why, Nor Was It A Notice...

150% Rent increases in mobile home park [ 1 Answers ]

My mother lives in a mobile home park in Villa Ridge, Missouri and the day before Thanksgiving she got a notice that they are increasing her pad rent 150% beginning in January. That seems like there should be something that prevents them from more than doubling her rent. Is there anything to...

Tenant Rights Mobile home park [ 1 Answers ]

Several old Cottonwood trees in a mobile home park in Montana blew over, one damaging a deck belonging to a tenant. Fortunately the tenants had just gone inside their trailer. We RENT the lots and OWN our homes. My question - is the landlord responsible to have the fallen trees removed? Perhaps...

Kentucky Mobile Home Park [ 5 Answers ]

I got a notice from the park I live in that I have to show mobile home insurance by law (state (Ky)? County?(Jefferson). Also, I was not asked to sign a lease agreement by the new owners, if this an advantage or disadvantage? I am charged for electric used but have no schedule of usage and charged...

Kentucky Mobile Home Park Law [ 4 Answers ]

What Are The Laws Regarding Eviction Of A Tenant In A Mobile Home Park Where They Own The Trailer. I Have Already Given 30 Written Notice And They Won't Move... And Won't Pay Rent What Do I Do

View more questions Search