Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lost in the legal world Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Statue of Limitation
    What is the statute of Limitation on a DUI charge in BC or Canada. I have a warrant out of my arrest in BC. I didn't even know about it until I was pulled over in Alberta. I was under the impression from the cop that I talked to on the phone that I had taken care of all of that mess. But then I got pulled over and was informed of this. Now I don't want to return to because. But I am wondering how long I have to wait.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Hello Lost:

I don't know how it works in Canada, but here in the US, once charges are filed, the tolling of time towards the statute of limitations, stops. The statute is intended to prod prosecution, not aid a scofflaw. Therefore, once a prosecutor files charges, and a warrant is issued, the warrant stays on the books forever.

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 09:39 PM
    excon is correct.

While he speaks from a US stand point, the same is true from a Canadian perspective.

The Statute of Limitations limits the time the Crown can files charges against you. Once they file charges, the charges last forever. If it takes them 20 years to find you and arrest you, then so be it.

The SOL occurs from the time of the incident to the date the charges/warrant was filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitation (SoL) ontario [ 11 Answers ]

I live in ontario,Canada . 7 years ago, going through divorce, I stopped paying my debts ( credit cards, line of credit (unsecured), personal loan(unsecured),store cards). Collection agencies were chasing me but had no luck finding me. This week I check my credit report from both equifax and...

Statue of limitation [ 5 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitation on statutory rape? Also, the time of limitation has passed, what other way can you charge some one with statutory rape against a 14 year old, if they were 25 at the time?

Statue of limitations in nova scotia [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the statue of limitations of credit card debt in Nova Scotia and where I can call or find this proof.I was told there was no such thing but I know this is not true.

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

View more questions Search