Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrfreyguy54321 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 06:44 PM
    5hp b&s pullstart
    Hi I own a 5hp briggs and stratton that's on my mini bike and a few months ago the pull starter rope started kicking back out when the engine was running and it made a noise that sounded like metal on metal. When this started I started oiling the bearing and it stopped but when it got colder the oil didn't seem to be as affective because the rope started kicking out again. Do I need to purchase a new bearing or is something else wrong?

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 07:33 PM

Replace or clean the clutch under the blower housing cover.
    About $15 new. There are about 5 balls inside. There is currently dirt or grease inside the clutch. Should be clean, no dirt, no lubercation.

Jan 31, 2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks keepitsimplestupid ill take off the shroud and try that when it gets a little warmer
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 09:12 AM

Hi,
    The noise, etc. is not the clutch part of the unit, but rather friction between the center piece of it and the extended piece of the crankshaft. The machine can be laid on its side, the blower housing and flywheel screen removed, the clutch disassembled, the crank tip and center piece cleaned and sanded, and it SHOULD be lightly greased and reassmbled. The area with the balls should be clean and dry.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Feb 1, 2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks crigby for the advice ill make sure to try that.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2009, 05:58 PM

If had it happen with the balls.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 02:12 PM

It's a nasty noise. The time it happened to me, I just replaced the clutch. Then, being the curious person that I am, I took it apart carefully and figured out how it works.

At pulling speeds the balls are propelled and lock into place. At low speeds nothing happens.

If the inside where the balls lock gets dirty, they tend to stick there once in a while and then the annoying screeching happens

Feb 11, 2009, 03:30 PM

I know the noise is like fingers on a chalk bored. I recently ordered some parts for my mini bike and I will be working to put it on so I will try to fix the clutch/balls while doing this. Thanks again for all of your help.

Feb 12, 2009, 04:00 PM

Ok so I took off the blower housing and the protective screen but the clutch has a cover on it that I don't know how to take off. If possible could you instruct me on how to do this.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 05:20 PM

It's screwed on. I've had luck with no damage by purring a screw in the thread holes and tapping counter-clockwise on that ear.

Then you should be able to take it apart.

Feb 12, 2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks I'll try that.

Feb 18, 2009, 03:18 PM

I recently took off the blower housing again and I am planning to purchase a whole new clutch instead of trying to fix it. Should I buy one of those clutch pullers from eBay? If so I've heard that to stop the crankshaft from movine you kneed to stuff something like a nylon rope down the spark plug hole. Is this true?
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 03:26 PM

It's an easy fix.

The clutch on the blower is removed by turning in the opposite direction of the normal rotation of the engine. It screws off. Problem is, it is on tight.

If you stuff, say a screwdriver in the fins, they break off, so that's not a good idea.

Usually there is a screen held by 4 screws. Remove it and put one screw back in. If you gently tap that ear with a hammer it SHOULD loosen.

The proper tool might be a fabric or rubber band wrench. That will not damage the clutch.

If you can't manage to stabilize the flywheel in a good place that won't damage it, then the rope down the spark plug hole should work.

Feb 18, 2009, 09:18 PM

Thank you very much for all the help you've given me.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 09:25 PM

If you have the engine number and type which STAMPED on the blower housing. Using difficult to read. You can get a parts breakdown manual on Home - Briggs & Stratton, so you can see what your up against.
    dobiefloyd Posts: 67, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Replace or clean the clutch under the blower housing cover.
    About $15 new. There are about 5 balls inside. There is currently dirt or grease inside the clutch. Should be clean, no dirt, no lubercation.
    Where can I buy these? I popped my cap last night and my balls rolled down the driveway and down the road. I live on top of a hill and it was dark so I only have one ball left. True story.

Thanks

Ed

Feb 24, 2009, 04:00 PM

I was looking to replace mine and I found this site: 43-404

There is also a website called Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts, Go Kart Parts, Mini Bike Part, Lawn Mower Parts, Chainsaw Part and Small Engine Parts and I know they have a few in their small engine category.
    mrfreyguy54321

Feb 24, 2009, 04:07 PM

The links showed up differently but they are the right sites.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2009, 05:01 PM

I warned you about the balls. Sort of. A local lawn mower repair place should stock them.
    dobiefloyd Posts: 67, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfreyguy54321 View Post
    I was looking to replace mine and I found this site: 43-404

There is also a website called Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts, Go Kart Parts, Mini Bike Part, Lawn Mower Parts, Chainsaw Part and Small Engine Parts and I know they have a few in their small engine category.
    mrfreyguy54321
    Thank you

I just ordered a kit.

Ed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weedeater pullstart replace [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Weedeater LT 7000 that the starter pulley broke so I ordered a new pulley and spring. How do you get the spring into the housing without it coming unraveled?

View more questions Search