Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandela Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Computer keeps restarting
    Hi there, I have spent hours searching through forums for an answer, but nothing has helped so far, not even the other thread in this forum.

I have a windows XP home SP2 seagate HD, from an older PC, with everything including windows still on it. Now that the HD of the newer PC, also XP home, SP2, also seagate HD, has a slight problem and needs to be moved to the bin, I wanted to put the old HD into the PC, as I never kept the old case. Old PC was a packard bell and new one is a packard bell, too.

I have never been able to start the thing in there. It gets to the black screen with the safe mode, last good, start normally options and then, whatever I select, restarts.

The drive is fine, has been checked for viruses and rootkits, all clear. It is working when used as an external HD.

I have checked the master/slave settings. Anybody got any ideas?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 04:22 PM

So you have the drive set as slave and it is connected to the middle connector on the ribbon cable?

When above is correct, turn on computer to see if you can get into windows - if so, check windows explorer to see if it is recognized

It that does not help
    -with above settings still true, restart PC and go into the BIOS to see if the slave drive is recognized or not

If not, turn off computer and change the jumper on the drive to
    Cable Select (CS) and on same middle connector on ribbon cable

Now restart and do same process as above

Hope this helps out

Jan 31, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Thanks, but no luck. I have tried master, slave and cable select, when the drive is in the PC, but none does the trick.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 06:32 PM

So you do have it set up on the middle connector on the ribbon cable which is attached the master drive on the end of the cable

How about the BIOS, is the drive recognized there

If you have access to another ribbon cable, put the drive on the end connector and connect other end to IDE 2 slot (plug) on the motherboard and set it to all 3 and try each, master 1st, slave then cable select

Check bios also to see if recognized by the system

Feb 2, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Still no success. And yes, BIOS recognises the drive. :(
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:03 PM

has a slight problem and needs to be moved to the bin
    So this drive is not in the picture?

How is it recognized in bios?

Can you boot this computer from the CD rom?

Which connector do you have it connected to when the bios reconizes it
    obmag Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 05:23 AM
    Are you trying to move a hard drive from one computer into another, and hoping windows XP SP2 will start without reinstalling it? Reinstalling windows would be the best way forward I think. If you just want to rescue files from the Hard Drive try copying them to a USB or other device. Reinstall windows on the new hard drive and copy your files back.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 17, 2009, 07:55 AM
    I've seen this type of behavior on three occasions. On one of them, I was able to get the computer working by reinstalling the operating system. On the second, I had to reinstall the hard drive and the operating system, and on the third, I had to get a new motherboard.
    answeromatic Posts: 21, Reputation: 4

Feb 21, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rwinterton View Post
    I've seen this type of behavior on three occasions. On one of them, I was able to get the computer working by reinstalling the operating system. On the second, I had to reinstall the hard drive and the operating system, and on the third, I had to get a new motherboard.
    I agree with rwinterton. There is also possibly something wrong with the Boot Sector of your HDD. Also, keep in mind that when windows is installed, it has motherboard drivers installed into it. Sometimes if you swap drives from one to another, if the motherboard wasn't the same, it won't boot up. Then your best bet is to reformat.

Sorry about the gloomy answer but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Computer is restarting continuously and not booting [ 4 Answers ]

Yesterday I was on my computer, its an HP Pavilion dv9308nr Notebook PC, when it suddenly put itself to sleep. Or at least the monitor went black. I did what I usually do to bring it back up, which is shake the mouse and if that fails, quickly push the power button. Well, the mouse was dead, the...

Computer keeps restarting during start-up? [ 5 Answers ]

I turned my Computer on one day, and then two seconds later it restarted itself, then 3 seconds later it would restart itself, and went a little further each restart until it got to the log in screen, then it would be okay from there ever since then (which was like 1 1/2 months ago). I thought I...

Computer continually restarting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm trying to build a computer out of some spare parts for my brother, When I start the computer up it goes through post and then starts to load windows but before it shows the windows XP graphic it resets (it does this forever until you turn it off_). The MOBO has an integrated graphics card on...

Computer will not boot up and keeps restarting itself [ 12 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and have encountered a really unfortunately problem with my hp laptop. This morning I was running a dj program and just letting it play music. I've done it countless times in thepast and has given me no problems, until today that is. It crashed. I easily noticed it...

View more questions Search