Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynthiamireles Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Strech marks!
    Im 37 weeks pregnant and I want to know how can I minimize my huge strech marks due to this pregnancy.. they are horrible!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Drink lots of fluids. Many times we get stretch marks because our skin is not hydrated enough. With all of my pregnancies I used cocoa butter several times a day. I don't have one stretch mark after 4 children.

With that said, you already have the marks, so you will have to treat after the baby is born. Vitamin E, cocoa butter, and bio oil are just a few things to try.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 01:56 PM

Between 75% and 90% of women develop stretch marks to some degree during pregnancy. The sustained hormonal levels as a result of pregnancy usually means stretch marks may appear during the sixth or seventh month.

Only one randomised controlled study has been published which claimed to test whether oils or creams prevent the development of stretchmarks. This study found a daily application of a cream (Trofolastin) containing Centella asiatica extract, vitamin E, and collagen-elastin hydrolysates was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy.[2][3] Another study, though lacking a placebo control, examined a cream (Verum) containing vitamin E, panthenol, hyaluronic acid, elastin and menthol. It was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy versus no treatment.[4]

Though cocoa butter is an effective moisturizer, no research studies have shown its ability to either prevent stretchmarks, or to reduce their appearance once a stretchmark has already formed.

Various treatments are available for the purpose of improving the appearance of existing stretch marks, including laser treatments, dermabrasion, and prescription retinoids.[citation needed] Some cream manufacturers claim the best results are achieved on recent stretch marks; however, few studies exist to support these claims.

A study in the journal Dermatologic Surgery showed that radiofrequency combined with 585-nm pulsed dye laser treatment gave "good and very good" subjective improvement in stretch marks in 33 of 37 patients, although further studies would be required to follow up on these results. In addition, the use of a pulsed dye laser was shown to increase pigmentation in darker skinned individuals with repeated treatments.[5]

A surgical procedure for removing lower abdominal stretch marks is the tummy tuck, which removes the skin below the navel where stretch marks frequently occur.

A new modality, fractional laser resurfacing, offers a novel approach to treating striae. Using scattered pulses of light only a fraction of the scar is zapped by the laser over the course of several treatments. This creates microscopic wounds and as such is a "no downtime" procedure. The body responds to each treatment by producing new collagen and epithelium. In a 2007 clinical trial, 5-6 treatments resulted in striae improving by as much as 75 percent.[6] A 2007 Brazilian clinical study showed that Fraxel improved both texture and appearance of mature, white striae in skin types I-IV.[7]
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Between 75% and 90% of women develop stretch marks to some degree during pregnancy. The sustained hormonal levels as a result of pregnancy usually means stretch marks may appear during the sixth or seventh month.

Only one randomised controlled study has been published which claimed to test whether oils or creams prevent the development of stretchmarks. This study found a daily application of a cream (Trofolastin) containing Centella asiatica extract, vitamin E, and collagen-elastin hydrolysates was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy.[2][3] Another study, though lacking a placebo control, examined a cream (Verum) containing vitamin E, panthenol, hyaluronic acid, elastin and menthol. It was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy versus no treatment.[4]

Though cocoa butter is an effective moisturizer, no research studies have shown its ability to either prevent stretchmarks, or to reduce their appearance once a stretchmark has already formed.

Various treatments are available for the purpose of improving the appearance of existing stretch marks, including laser treatments, dermabrasion, and prescription retinoids.[citation needed] Some cream manufacturers claim the best results are achieved on recent stretch marks; however, few studies exist to support these claims.

A study in the journal Dermatologic Surgery showed that radiofrequency combined with 585-nm pulsed dye laser treatment gave "good and very good" subjective improvement in stretch marks in 33 of 37 patients, although further studies would be required to follow up on these results. In addition, the use of a pulsed dye laser was shown to increase pigmentation in darker skinned individuals with repeated treatments.[5]

A surgical procedure for removing lower abdominal stretch marks is the tummy tuck, which removes the skin below the navel where stretch marks frequently occur.

A new modality, fractional laser resurfacing, offers a novel approach to treating striae. Using scattered pulses of light only a fraction of the scar is zapped by the laser over the course of several treatments. This creates microscopic wounds and as such is a "no downtime" procedure. The body responds to each treatment by producing new collagen and epithelium. In a 2007 clinical trial, 5-6 treatments resulted in striae improving by as much as 75 percent.[6] A 2007 Brazilian clinical study showed that Fraxel improved both texture and appearance of mature, white striae in skin types I-IV.[7]
    Very interesting. Would you mind quoting your sources?

EDIT** could you provide some links please?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 02:00 PM

Stretch marks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying I agree but it has some info.
    I say cocoa butter!
    Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 02:17 PM
    I used cocoa butter for all 4 of mine, the oldest is 22 and the youngest is almost 7. LOL
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Feb 2, 2009, 09:52 AM

My dad is a dermatologist and I am always bugging him about what I can do to minimize stretch marks and he is always just saying Vitamin E cream is the best. It's best to use cocoa butter AND vitamin E cream as well as staying well hydrated. I did that after I had my first and they faded pretty quickly (they'll never fully disappear unless you get the laser treatment.) And also try not to scratch. That was my biggest problem was scratching. It made it worse
    GirlWSlingshot Posts: 224, Reputation: 21

Feb 2, 2009, 02:19 PM

You can hydrate and moisturize as much as you want but if you're destined to have stretch marks, there isn't much you can do to avoid it.

If you're genetically inclined to get stretch marks, you're going to get them. And at this point, there isn't much you can do to minimize them. The less weight you gain, the less obvious they'll be.

The good news is that stretch marks fade. I have terrible ones but they've faded considerably over the last year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No strech marks [ 3 Answers ]

I am due sep 20th and I am carring twins. I've gained a little more than 68 lbs and I don't have strech marks. When I deliver will I have strech marks? Like because my tummy isn't hard from the girls? Will it like sag or will I just be lucky and not have them?

Strech marks? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey I recently got really big from working out and stuff but now have been sitting on my butt for the past 3 and half motnhs or seomthing I have stretch marks on my legs and like a tiny one on my arm I wondering where they came from because I never really worked out my legs... I can't rmemeber when...

Strech marks during pregnancy [ 4 Answers ]

{sharon79{ strech marks during pregnancy :o hello there, I am a first time mom.my baby is 6mos.old now. My problem is I have so many strech marks on my legs, thigh, hips and stomach... how can I minimize this? I want to ask some of your opinion to clear them,, it is really ugly...

Strech marks [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm not sure whether this should be in this section or the skinsection, but here goes anyway. I am 18 years old, and by no means fat, I am a UK size 10/12. However I have these HORREDNOUS stretch marks on my boobs, hips and back and also my inner thighs and top of the legs. They're mainly...

Strech Marks [ 5 Answers ]

I'm only 15 and I already have stretch marks. They are really visible but not in an area that people see often. And the thing is that I'm not even chubby, I'm not skinny, I weigh 110 pounds but I have stretch marks in that part of my body, that isn't even that big. I want to know how to get rid of...

View more questions Search