Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zxed Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Removing a 3/4 s-trap, flat vent, tee on ts back.
    I was trying to add a 2" shower drain. copied what was done earlier. to a tub drain. turns out I created a 3/4 s-trap and a flat vent. and put a sani tee on its back.

I have added pics. 1 pic contains a plan of action.

1. connect p-trap to vertical vent with straight.
    2. add 90 deg elbow taking it downwards and straight
    3. add 90 deg elbow taking it back towards flow, sloped correctly
    4. add 45 deg elbow taking it towards waste stack + straight
    5. add 45 deg elbow and connect back towards the wye

The sani tee on its back will be cut.

Thank you
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 03:55 PM
    I'm not exactly clear on what is happening here. I see that you plan on removing the sanitary tee... that may or may not be necessary.

The 2" p-trap for the shower needs to be directly under the shower strainer. The pipe will connect out of the P-trap and into the shower strainer.

Where in the room is the shower going? Are you aware that they make a great shower pan that swaps out almost exactly for a tub (see picture). This setup requires very little modification to the drains...

I took one of your pictures and posted a couple questions on it. Let me know the answers.. ok?

MARK
    Attached Images

Jan 31, 2009, 04:58 PM

1. that "was" the trap for the new shower.
    2. I "was" going to connect the vent as you mentioned.

the reason I say "was" is because I have cut off the sanitary tee Because:
    1. it was creating a 3/4 S-trap
    2. it was on its back
    3. I created a horizontal vent.

In the picutre in which I have markings. I am going to re-do the ptrap so that it stays level and connects to the vertical vent using a combi YT, or TY... not sure of the exact term, it's the same as a wye + 1/8 bend..

the new shower location is different than the original tub. the picture that has my markings that has the drain stick out of the floor is where the new walk in will be. the 2" pipe coming out of the floor will be cut properly, its there just to hold things in place.

I have purchased
    1 x 2" 45 deg (EL)
    1 x 2"x2"x1.5" T-Wye
    2 x 2" 90 deg (EL)

1. P-trap goes towards vertical vent, connets using T-wye
    2. 90 deg brings flow downwards
    3. another 90 deg brigs flow in correct direction
    4. 45 deg angles and brings flow towards the 3" pipe
    5. 45 corrects offset, joins to the 3"x3"x2" wye
    6. all done..
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 05:03 PM
    I'm losing you on these statements...

1) p-trap goes towards vertical vent, connets using T-wye

Ptrap should go under shower period. Shower vent should connect to the vertical vent using sanitary tee.

2)i am going to re-do the ptrap so that it stays level and connects to the vertical vent using a combi YT, or TY

Same answer as above.. ptrap connects to shower only and vent connects onto the vertical vent.

Finally, sanitary tee on its back is fine as long as it is for a VENT fitting.

Let's talk here... let me know if I misunderstood you.

MARK
    zosoplumber Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Sanitary tees can be laid on there back as long as they are being used for vents and not drains, the problem is the pipe coming from the tee on its back cannot run horizontally until passed flood level, it should rise vertically or no more than 45 degree angle.

Jan 31, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I'm losing you on these statements...

1) p-trap goes towards vertical vent, connets using T-wye

Ptrap should go under shower period. Shower vent should connect to the vertical vent using sanitary tee.

2)i am going to re-do the ptrap so that it stays level and connects to the vertical vent using a combi YT, or TY

Same answer as above..ptrap connects to shower only and vent connects onto the vertical vent.

Finally, sanitary tee on its back is fine as long as it is for a VENT fitting.

Let's talk here...let me know if I misunderstood you.

MARK
    I see what you are sayig and where you are losing me

I am not using the right words I think

Shower connects to p-trap. which then connects to "something" after the loops in the p trap, it does turn "horizontal" doesn't it? The "in" part of a ptrap is vertical, the out part is horizontal... that horizonta part, will continue and join to a t-wye...

Let me stop here. does the above pasage make sense?I can take pictures :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 05:15 PM
    That made sense... :) If you have more questions then post a pic. And ask away!

MARK

Jan 31, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Quick sketch
    Attached Images

Jan 31, 2009, 05:19 PM

1. p trap
    2. T-wye
    3. elongated 90
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 05:21 PM
    All looks great.

You should be sure that the 90 is a LONG SWEEP 90 (or 2 -45s joined together) and you could use a regular sanitary tee here if you want, but the combo. Wye is fine, too.

That vent will need to run over and connect onto the existing vent and you should be all set.

Keep 'em coming.

Jan 31, 2009, 05:23 PM
    2nd part
    Attached Images

Jan 31, 2009, 05:24 PM

3. is the same "long sweew" 90
    4. is another "long sweep" 90
    5. is a 45 deg
    6. is another 45 deg
    7. is the existing wye
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 05:25 PM
    I see now...

All looks good!

Jan 31, 2009, 05:26 PM
    Important to note that the long sweep 90 in 3 is a must because the ptrap + t-wye are at an odd angle. so I must make the 90 go down so that horizontal pipe betwee 4 and 5 is parallel to the 3" pipe

Jan 31, 2009, 05:26 PM
    I see now....

All looks good!
    Thank you. ill be back in a bit with pics of the completed product :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Let me know... :)

Jan 31, 2009, 09:12 PM
    Done
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 06:24 AM
    What you have there is pretty good. It will work, primarily adheres to code, and you didn't destroy any joists to accomplish all... NOT BAD!

Sometimes it is hard to understand exactly what you guys are trying to tell us with the pics. And all. Unfortunately, now I see what you were putting the shower. I missed that in all the pics. As I thought the pipe coming out of the floor was just a pipe stood UP on the floor and was not part of the system.

If I had understood exactly where that shower was going I would have recommended that you pipe it up as I have drawn below.

Anyway, at this point I think you are all set as the way that I drew what I would have liked to see you do may have required you to cut into the joists and those joists don't look large enough to be drilling a 3" hole (would need a 2"x10" for that).

NICE job!

Let me know if you need anything else.

MARK
    Attached Images

Feb 1, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Thank you :)

as the way that I drew what I would have liked to see you do may have required you to cut into the joists and those joists don't look large enough to be drilling a 3" hole (would need a 2"x10" for that).
    the floor joists are 2x10, and the shower pipe is 2", venting is 1.5", so the holes would have worked BUT, I'm putting down travertine. I have sistered half the floor joists (not visible in the pics) and need to finish the part that has all this plumbing :)

the travertine is the reason I was avoiding any cuts in the floor joists.

I will probably need you help/ideas soon... on the other side of the room I want to put a tub, but the p-trap + vent... comes out too far. 8 ft, or somethig, ill create another threat.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 01:03 PM
    We're here... glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Max. Distance between p-trap and vent stack [ 13 Answers ]

Is there a maximum distance that is allowed between a p-trap for the sink (1 1/2" horizontal pipe) and the vent stack that it drains into (2" or 3" vertical pipe) ? If the distance is more than a couple of feet is it better to put in a separate vent / drain ?

Vent and p trap placement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a modular home and I'am having an addition added on for the kitchen,so I'am moving the sink and all cabinets including the counter out ten feet. I have a crawl space under to run my ptrap down but I don't know where I need to tie in the vent pipe because it's back ten feet in the old wall??

Can vent suck all the water from S trap? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in a cottage bathroom. THere was no previous shower. I plan to use the same vent that I use for the toilet and sink. The shower is around 10 feet from the vent; the toilet and sink are between the shower and vent. Is it possible for the vent to suck all the water out...

Removing old U-trap [ 8 Answers ]

I'm replacing an old bathroom vanity and the old drain does not line up with the new one. It is centered just fine, but needs to come out from the wall an inch or two. I figured it would be easy to just buy a new trap setup and just replace the old one. Only problem is that I can't remove the first...

Is it trouble if there is no vent or trap on WM branch [ 6 Answers ]

I have a washer drain line, 2 inch diameter stand pipe without a vent or trap. Should I be concerned; I haven't noticed any issues? The stand pipe extends from a wall say 36 inches from the floor, does down; angles away from the foundation, then angles further down directly into the house's...

View more questions Search