Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yummbeme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Union clarification
    Can someone explain to me what a union is. I have a general idea but need further clarification. Also Why do major retailers like Home Depot oppose to a union?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 08:12 AM

Here's what Unions say about the benefits:

"Union workers are more likely than their nonunion counterparts to receive health care and pension benefits, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. 89 percent of union workers (private sector) participated in medical care benefits, compared with only 67 percent of nonunion workers. 84 percent of union workers are covered by pension plans versus 56 percent of nonunion workers. Seventy percent of union workers have defined-benefit retirement coverage, compared with 16 percent of nonunion workers.

Unions increase productivity, according to most recent studies. The voice that union members have on the job—sharing in decision-making about promotions and work and production standards—increases productivity and improves management practices. Better training, lower turnover and longer tenure also make union workers more productive. The agreements reached between unions and employers through the collective bargaining process serve to provide an element of security and certainty, and establish employee privileges and benefits which otherwise may not have been provided by an employer dealing individually with employees. Such agreements become the primary source of employee rights and responsibilities in the workplace and govern such things as wages, hours, benefits and terms and conditions of employment. They are legally enforceable and binding contracts to which the employer, employees, and the union must adhere.

Unions play a pivotal role both in securing legislated labor protections and rights such as safety and health, overtime, and family/medical leave and in enforcing those rights on the job. Because unionized workers are more informed, they are more likely to benefit from social insurance programs such as unemployment insurance and workers compensation. Unions are thus an intermediary institution that provides a necessary complement to legislated benefits and protections."

Employers find these benefits for workers to be detrimental to employers - such as the pretty much unrestrained ability to terminate, change benefits, not provide benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need clarification [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please help me. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a year and this month I started spotting and getting brown discharge a week before my period starts. My period is irregular but it never came early and definitely never light. I took a test and it was negative. Is it too...

Clarification on OPT tax exemptions? [ 1 Answers ]

I have read conflicting answers to the question of whether someone is exempt from paying social security and medicare taxes on an OPT (F-1) visa. So, my question is are you exempt? To make it very clear, are people working under OPT exempt from paying these taxes (particularly if you have been...

Clarification Before I Buy [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. Just getting some last minute advice before I run out and spend money lol. I am running a line out to a detached building. It will be coming out of a 200 amp service into a 60 amp breaker sub panel. I will use 6-3 w/gnd (Underground w/ conduit) to do this as well as #6 to run from the ground...

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

Union and non-Union works [ 2 Answers ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Union and non-union works in a Tool and Die industry? :confused:

View more questions Search